400 Mile Round Trip to Pick Up...

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

400 Mile Round Trip to Pick Up...

#1 Post by TattooedGun »

So I'm not sure if this qualifies as Pre 1945 or not, as it's borderline. There were some used at the tail end of the war, although mine is fro 1947, but since it is a historic rifle and they were military, I'm going to put it in here...

With great thanks to Graham (GeeRam) for pointing out that there was specifically the rifle I wanted on MFLClassicFirearms almost 2 weeks ago, I am now the proud owner of...

A 1947 BSA (Shirley) made No. 5 mk. 1. Matching serials.

I am over the moon. Aside from the massive journey to go pick it up, it looks lovely and I can't wait to get out and put it through it's paces.

Picked up 100 rounds of PPU whilst out there (and the sling), so just need a day at the range to blow the cobwebs out of the old girl.

It's also got, which I love, remnants of a painted number on the stock, presumably for rack identification in a military stockroom somewhere?

What it's got on the bottom, that I'm hoping some of you guys can tell me more about, is some numbers on the magazine, that have got XX's through them, presumably nullifying them. Can anyone give me more info on what they were? was it a previously issued magazine to a different serial number, then it got serialised to my rifle?

Anywhoo.

Much happy. please let me know if the picture doesn't load and I'll adjust some settings.

TG :)
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: 400 Mile Round Trip to Pick Up...

#2 Post by dromia »

It says pre 1945 action that qualifies it for this forum not the date of manufacture, see forum headers.

The No 4 action was introduced before 1945 so this is the appropriate forum for the post.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
redcat
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Teesdale P&R Club.

#3 Post by redcat »

Way to go TG! I'll bet the homeward journey was better than the outward one! lollol

Redcat
If you think you are a person of some importance, try ordering someone else's dog around.
TattooedGun
Past Supporter

#4 Post by TattooedGun »

redcat wrote:Way to go TG! I'll bet the homeward journey was better than the outward one! lollol

Redcat
Not so much... Although I nearly killed myself because my car tried to kill me at a give way sign that it just didn't want to stop at (No ABS) on the way out, I think I prefered the near death experience on the way there to the hellish traffic coming back around Birmingham and M6 at 5pm....

Haha
froggy
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: HPRP (UK) + Corsaires Malouins (France) + Czech Rep

#5 Post by froggy »

Awesome rifle in a real man's caliber ... That painted numbers are great little addition .
Makes a change from your last poncy purchase . Congrats Caveman :good:
I want to try it !!

NB - BTW, You will not be allowed in the CR without sporting a slouch hat now !!
Want to shoot pistol ? Don't retreat... reload & run forward !!
http://dynamicshootingcz.co.uk/
bnz41
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#6 Post by bnz41 »

Very nice rifle, and you bought it from a very nice chap. I have bought/sold several rifles through him, never sells rubbish. Enjoy shooting it.

I would think the mag was from another rifle thats why the numbers been x out, my first No4 was like that.

Also see the bayonet lug has been cut off could have been a US import at some point.
TattooedGun
Past Supporter

#7 Post by TattooedGun »

bnz41 wrote:Very nice rifle, and you bought it from a very nice chap. I have bought/sold several rifles through him, never sells rubbish. Enjoy shooting it.

I would think the mag was from another rifle thats why the numbers been x out, my first No4 was like that.

Also see the bayonet lug has been cut off could have been a US import at some point.
Ah man, I was hoping I could get a bayonet on it, didn't realise it had been cut off.. (I know little more about these rifles, than at a guttural level, I wanted one). Although looking at the prices of the bayos, I'd be spending almost as much as the rifle just to get one!
Les
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: WRPC

#8 Post by Les »

TG, if Shirley shoots half as good as she looks, you've got yourself a winner! Great find, and definitely worth the trip, I think! clapclap
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#9 Post by snayperskaya »

Nice rifle you have there Ste, you'd been after one for a while now if I remember right :good:

The painted number on the stock could be an armoury rack number, I don't know if the British did that but my Dragunov stock has one.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Kungfugerbil
Past Supporter

#10 Post by Kungfugerbil »

Shirley you can't be serious?

Love it. Want it. Ace :D