400 Mile Round Trip to Pick Up...

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

bnz41
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

Re: 400 Mile Round Trip to Pick Up...

#11 Post by bnz41 »

snayperskaya wrote:Nice rifle you have there Ste, you'd been after one for a while now if I remember right :good:

The painted number on the stock could be an armoury rack number, I don't know if the British did that but my Dragunov stock has one.

Yes the British did put rack numbers on the rifles, every L1A1 I was issued with had a number be it wood or plastic stock, not sure they do it now though.
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#12 Post by GeeRam »

goodjob

I saw it disappear of their website pretty quick so was hoping that it wasn't someone else that had beaten you to it cheers

So, welcome to the 1947 No.5 Owners Club shakeshout

As mentioned before, it could be one of the No.5's that was used by the West German Border Guard unit as these were all 'de-milled' by having the bayonet lug removed, as the Border Guard units were not classified as a military unit.

While annoying, it will hopefully make up for it by being a good shooter. Better to have a lugless good shooting No.5 than one that has a lug but is all shot out.

Apex in the USA makes repro castings of the flash hider with lug, but don't know if they will export or not.

https://www.apexgunparts.com/lee-enfiel ... ction.html
Gazoo
Home club or Range: Bishop Auckland

#13 Post by Gazoo »

Dagnabbit !
I was thinking about that one, I had the cash but bought a MH carbine instead , my rational was that I also want a Long Lee and MFL have a fine choice so was saving for both. I got my SMLE from MFL and it is a bloody long drive from Durham.
It wouldnt be so bad but the Romans evidently never found that corner of the island so NO BLOODY STRAIGHT ROADS AT ALL. Saxmundham is just a little difficult to get to is what im trying to articulate.
But I am going back some time, when I got my smellie I was hopping from foot to foot cos he had Longs, Jungles and a Snider in at the time ..........kid, sweety shop etc etc
Enjoy TG, she looks nice.
Alea Jacta Est
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#14 Post by snayperskaya »

bnz41 wrote:
snayperskaya wrote:Nice rifle you have there Ste, you'd been after one for a while now if I remember right :good:

The painted number on the stock could be an armoury rack number, I don't know if the British did that but my Dragunov stock has one.

Yes the British did put rack numbers on the rifles, every L1A1 I was issued with had a number be it wood or plastic stock, not sure they do it now though.
Translates as L-3

Hope you don't mind Ste, I thought some may be interested :good:

"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
pe4king
Home club or Range: Lydd Rifle Club.

#15 Post by pe4king »

Gazoo wrote:Dagnabbit !
I was thinking about that one, I had the cash but bought a MH carbine instead , my rational was that I also want a Long Lee and MFL have a fine choice so was saving for both. I got my SMLE from MFL and it is a bloody long drive from Durham.
It wouldnt be so bad but the Romans evidently never found that corner of the island so NO BLOODY STRAIGHT ROADS AT ALL. Saxmundham is just a little difficult to get to is what im trying to articulate.
But I am going back some time, when I got my smellie I was hopping from foot to foot cos he had Longs, Jungles and a Snider in at the time ..........kid, sweety shop etc etc
Enjoy TG, she looks nice.
That wasn't the one fron MFL classics in Suffolk was it ?.
What is a Sapper? This versatile genius condenses the whole system of military engineering and all that is useful and practical. He is a man of all work of the Army and the public ready to do anything or go anywhere, in short, he is a Sapper.
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#16 Post by TattooedGun »

snayperskaya wrote:
bnz41 wrote:

Translates as L-3

Hope you don't mind Ste, I thought some may be interested :good:

Not at all dude, I love seeing the pictures of painted numbers on stocks... it gives it somewhat more of a sense of history, at least to me. :)
TattooedGun
Past Supporter

#17 Post by TattooedGun »

Thanks for the responses guys :)

Gazoo, glad you didn't get in before me! I've been looking for one of these for a few years now. Every so often a BSA comes up but it's at the wrong time. This time however it was all good.
After Graham notified me of it (again, much obliged) I swiftly got on to MFL and enquired for more photos, and whether I could leave a deposit or not. Shortly after I got an email with about 10 photos and notice that I could leave a deposit, by which time I was well on my way with third pint at a stag party... made the call and put the money down. This one wasn't getting away! :D not sure if the drink helped with the decision, but I'm happy about it either way! :D

Now... Talk to me about stripper clips... Can I use them with this, and what sort do I use if so... anyone got any knocking about...?

Russian-Dude... You planning on going to Minsterley anytime in the next couple of weeks and fancy watching me bruise my shoulder with it for the first time, and a sneaky pop with a British rifle instead of that Russian rubbish you use...? ;) haha
bnz41

#18 Post by bnz41 »

Now... Talk to me about stripper clips...

They are charger clips for the .303 Lee Enfield style of rifle.. They are getting expensive so best bet is ebay, stick with UK sellers if you can as a lot of cheap imports are on the market from abroad, or try ds-solutions.co.uk
TattooedGun
Past Supporter

#19 Post by TattooedGun »

Thanks bnz, so would something like this do me...

http://www.ds-solutions.co.uk/product_i ... cts_id=127
bnz41

#20 Post by bnz41 »

YES :good: :good: :good: :good: :good:

Check the link to see how the rounds fit into the charger, scroll down a bit. http://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=10840