Steyr Mannlicher–Schönauer M1900 versus M1903

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

rufrdr

Re: Steyr Mannlicher–Schönauer M1900 versus M1903

#11 Post by rufrdr »

Sandgroper wrote:This might be of some help - http://www.mannlicher.org/aboutmannlich ... cteristics

The MS M1900 appears to be a rare beast and from what I can find only the Greek military was interested in it as a design and from it the M1903 was born.

Militarily speaking only the Romanian (M1893) and Dutch (M1895) rifles used the 6.5x53R, but apparently it was quite popular as a sporting cartridge as the .256 Mannlicher.
When I was a young man I worked in a gun shop of which the owner periodically went to the UK and brought back sporting arms from auctions. This was in the early 70s. One trip saw him return with sporterized Romanian 6.5mm rifles as mentioned above. The rifles were quite the odd ducks in the wilds of Western Pennsylvania but he eventually moved them all. I bought a Charles Lancaster .280 Ross with polygon rifling made on a square bridge Mauser action with express sights from him for $75. Being all of 21 years old when I realized no ammunition existed for it in the U.S. I sold it on for a profit of $50 and thought myself a clever lad. Wish I had kept it!

"Everybody dies...the thing is, to die well"

Jack Harper
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#12 Post by Ovenpaa »

A nice chap on the Nitroexpress forum tell me:
This finish is completely normal for a G.Gibbs Mannlicher or Mannlicher-Schoenauer. You have to know how these rifles were made. Until 1905 the Austrian Arms Factory in Steyr did not sell any sporters. They never sold any actions only or barrelled actions. Instead, they sold their complete, finished export military rifles to all comers. George Gibbs, Bristol and other British gunmakers bought these military rifles and sporterized them to varying degrees. This rifle was completely disassembled, converted to takedown, resighted and restocked. As Gibbs removed the military sights from the barrel, soldered on his own front and rear sights plus sling eyes and engraved his address, it was of course necessary to reblue the barrel, but not the action. The trap grip caps were bought in from specialized Birmingham makers and came already case hardened.
It does make me wonder how many original military versions are in existence these days.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Sandgroper

#13 Post by Sandgroper »

Ovenpaa wrote:
It does make me wonder how many original military versions are in existence these days.
Probably not many. From what I've read, the only mass production of the M1900 was the 1000 trials rifles for the Portuguese which they ultimately rejected due to the cost and complexity of manufacturing the magazine. I guess, most if not all were sold on to become sporters.
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
Ovenpaa

#14 Post by Ovenpaa »

Sandgroper wrote:
Ovenpaa wrote:
Probably not many. From what I've read, the only mass production of the M1900 was the 1000 trials rifles for the Portuguese which they ultimately rejected due to the cost and complexity of manufacturing the magazine. I guess, most if not all were sold on to become sporters.
Grant, do you have a source for the 1000 trials built data?

Apparently the MS actions are still being built today on a very limited basis however they are hideously pricey. The thing that amazes me is just how cheap the original sporters can be if you have a good hunt for them. You could easily end up with 3-4 examples for under GBP1000 total if you so desired.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Sandgroper

#15 Post by Sandgroper »

Rifles of the World by John Walter is my main source with snippets from the internet.

The M1900 is listed in the book only as a lesser pattern of rifle for the Portuguese trials and in passing reference to the Greek M1903 rifles. It seems the Greek M1903 rifles have virtually the same action as the M1900 and it could be for all intents and purposes they are the same, with the M1903 nomenclature being more common due to the Greek military purchase.

Regarding sporters, he also claims that Mannilicher made sporters were only made with the M1903 action with other gunmakers using other actions (mainly the M1893/5) as required. Again, this could simply be because Greek acceptance of the M1903 made the M1900 model number "less modern" and therefore redundant.
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.