Rifle id......

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

Re: Rifle id......

#11 Post by saddler »

snayperskaya wrote:
Sim G wrote:
snayperskaya wrote: I think of them as "torture tubes"! :squirrel:

I spotted the stutzen style forend and couldn't place the rifle......could "personal" weapons be carried?, but then you'd think that ammunition supply would be a problem unless it is a .303?

"Personal weapons? Col "Fighting Jack" Churchill of the Manchester Regt, the No3 Commando also played the bagpipes on occasision when going into battle. Likewise, he used a basket hilted sword in hand-to-hand combat in France and is credited at the only British soldier to kill a German in WW2 with a .......... longbow!
Sorry folks, I didn't realise it was a still from a film, I thought it was an original WW2 photo :oops:

Sim.......By "personal" weapons I meant could officers carrying their own rifles rather than issued rifles, in the way some officers in WW1 used "private purchase" rifles and pistols.
Officers in WW1 had to supply their own pistols
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#12 Post by snayperskaya »

saddler wrote:
Officers in WW1 had to supply their own pistols
I think this is where I read about officers with their own rifles......

http://www.westernfrontassociation.com/ ... hN8CJ.dpbs
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#13 Post by GeeRam »

snayperskaya wrote:
Sim G wrote:
snayperskaya wrote: I think of them as "torture tubes"! :squirrel:

I spotted the stutzen style forend and couldn't place the rifle......could "personal" weapons be carried?, but then you'd think that ammunition supply would be a problem unless it is a .303?

"Personal weapons? Col "Fighting Jack" Churchill of the Manchester Regt, the No3 Commando also played the bagpipes on occasision when going into battle. Likewise, he used a basket hilted sword in hand-to-hand combat in France and is credited at the only British soldier to kill a German in WW2 with a .......... longbow!
Sorry folks, I didn't realise it was a still from a film, I thought it was an original WW2 photo :oops:
Crikey....... wtf
Given the amount of times it's been shown on TV I'm surprised there was anyone left who had not seen the The Longest Day........ lol
snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#14 Post by snayperskaya »

GeeRam wrote:
Crikey....... wtf
Given the amount of times it's been shown on TV I'm surprised there was anyone left who had not seen the The Longest Day........ lol
I have seen it but didn't recognise the still.....it's been donkeys years since I've seen it and the photo I posted was actually on a WW2 website so I wrongly assumed it was an original photo.Can you remember every scene from every film you've watched?.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#15 Post by GeeRam »

snayperskaya wrote:
GeeRam wrote:
Crikey....... wtf
I have seen it but didn't recognise the still.....it's been donkeys years since I've seen it and the photo I posted was actually on a WW2 website so I wrongly assumed it was an original photo.Can you remember every scene from every film you've watched?.
Blimey..............it was just a bit of lighthearted banter......hence the lol

8-)
snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#16 Post by snayperskaya »

GeeRam wrote:
snayperskaya wrote:
GeeRam wrote:
Crikey....... wtf
Blimey..............it was just a bit of lighthearted banter......hence the lol

8-)
Sorry I forgot the lol