Nagant PE Sniper

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Nagant PE Sniper

#1 Post by Alpha1 »

I have been fancying a Nagant sniper for a while especially a PE sniper jobby. Prices are crazy and I'm not convinced that a lot of them are genuine. So if they are going to have my eyes out for some thing that may not be genuine. I'm inclined to build one my self. The basic rifle is cheap enough. I have been looking at mounts in the States just wondered if any one new were I can source a PE type mount before I purchase one from over the pond.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

Re: Nagant PE Sniper

#2 Post by snayperskaya »

Have a look on Ebay.......type in "Mosin scope mount" or "Russian scope" and be sure to search "Worldwide".

You will find there are quite a few sellers in Russia etc that are selling genuine Soviet PU and PE/PEM scopes and mounts etc.Never had a problem ordering and receiving stuff from The Motherland plus you don't get hit by Customs and VAT charges like stuff from the States.

Avoid the cheap Chinese copy scopes that appear on Ebay.....54r tends to shake them to bits after a while.

If you search around the 'net there a number of good sites that will point out what to look for with Mosin snipers and how to spot a non-genuine scope etc.There are some very good dealers that sell genuine, original Mosin sniper rifles, some that acknowledge that their rifles are composites and one I can think of that blatantly passes any old tat as a "sniper" with brand new repro Chinese scopes on them!.

http://russian-mosin-nagant.com/snipers ... index.html
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Alpha1

#3 Post by Alpha1 »

I had a look they are nearly all side mounts they are offering not PE mounts. The reproduction PE mounts seem to be mainly in the States.
greenshoots

#4 Post by greenshoots »

remember in distant recess of brain wernt barska optics doing a nice pu scope mount and cover

greenshoots
Green by Design
Charlotte the flyer
Home club or Range: Classified

#5 Post by Charlotte the flyer »

I built a PU sniper in a similar manner a while back. I found an 'ex-sniper' rifle and got what I believe is a genuine PU scope and mount from Moldova via Ebay. I wussed out on mounting the scope so had a gunsmith do it for me.
The above post probably contains sarcasm or some other form of attempted wit, please don't take it to heart.
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

#6 Post by hitchphil »

A member of my club has a PEM, matching serial numbers on all parts, inc the scope leather cover i believe. Its in exceptional condition. But he has no realistic idea of value & on line they vary wildly. Where can he get it valued by a 'Mosinaexpert'?

Its a shame that sealed bids are not allowed on this forum?, i don't see what the problem is with that? - you describe & picture the item in a For Sale PM Bid post, only answer description / tech or delivery questions about the item then lock the post & accept bids by PM - publish the winning bid. For some higher valued & less certain value items it may be a good way of achieving a fair price.
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#7 Post by saddler »

hitchphil wrote:A member of my club has a PEM, matching serial numbers on all parts, inc the scope leather cover i believe. Its in exceptional condition. But he has no realistic idea of value & on line they vary wildly. Where can he get it valued by a 'Mosinaexpert'?

Its a shame that sealed bids are not allowed on this forum?, i don't see what the problem is with that? - you describe & picture the item in a For Sale PM Bid post, only answer description / tech or delivery questions about the item then lock the post & accept bids by PM - publish the winning bid. For some higher valued & less certain value items it may be a good way of achieving a fair price.
I'd be interested in details of the numbered scope caps.
Not seen any officially stamped with such numbers...but it is something I offer when making scope caps; the font style & size could be of use.
Alpha1

#8 Post by Alpha1 »

Were is a good place to purchase a Nagant 91/30 for a fair price. (Anyone.) I tried kranks they don't have any in stock.
Does any one have any first hand experience with the PE sniper version. What is your opinion of it as opposed to the the PU version.
Were is a good place to look for information.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#9 Post by Ovenpaa »

The Viking, aka Christel had a PE sniper a few years ago.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Alpha1

#10 Post by Alpha1 »

How did Christel get on with it what was her opinion of the rifle. Did She get the chance to compare it to a PU.