Salisbury Plain with the FCSA

Made or missed the shot of a lifetime? Share your shooting trips with everyone. Tell us about it. We won't laugh, honest!

Moderator: dromia

TomH
Site Supporter Since 2017
Home club or Range: ORPC

Re: Salisbury Plain with the FCSA

#11 Post by TomH »

DOGGER2UK wrote:MOD land...Restricted Area...Official Secrets act = No pictures
Well a sketch would be nice, like they use on Court reports to get round a similar law.
ChrisB
Home club or Range: URC

#12 Post by ChrisB »

Ovenpaa wrote:I was not asking anyone to break the law and there are numerous photographs of MoD ranges on UK club sites. I am sure there are many people who would be interested to see how things are run at such meetings. There seems to be An aura of the unknown and exclusive within 50 cal shooting so some information and pictures would have been nice

No matter, I was only curious.
Anytime you fancy a blap, then please don't hesitate.
You need the specific rifle on your ticket if it is over 10,000 ftlbs as this is where the wording of a clubs approval runs out. Nowt to do with calibers.

Whilst I like the idea of an Aura, I am afraid the reality is that it is one of the most inclusive firing points packed with good nature and mutual support, oh, and a fair bit of p*** taking. Strongly suggest a visit to the website and sign up.
Paper Assassin
DOGGER2UK
Site Supporter Since 2019

#13 Post by DOGGER2UK »

I assume you mean an open slot for a 12,7x99/50BMG or similar as opposed to a specifically named rifle? I currently have an open slot for a 14,7mm/.580" that I intend to fill at some point this year however I am not sure where to shoot it yet.

You have to have the details of the specific rifle (make serial no etc) on your fac

Section 13.49 (page115 Home Office GUIDE ON FIREARMS LAW)
Long-barrelled revolvers, long-range pistols, section 1 shotguns and full bore
rifles designed or adapted to fire ammunition capable of discharging projectiles at muzzle
energies greater than 10,000 foot pounds may not be borrowed at a range for use by
other club members.

Regarding your proposed .580". MOD field firing ranges have range templates that set out the maximum calibers and muzzle energies acceptable for individual ranges. you will find these published in the range hut on each range.
What is the max muzzle energy of the 580?
It ain't me.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#14 Post by snayperskaya »

ChrisB wrote:
Whilst I like the idea of an Aura, I am afraid the reality is that it is one of the most inclusive firing points packed with good nature and mutual support, oh, and a fair bit of p*** taking. Strongly suggest a visit to the website and sign up.
And if you don't have a .50 etc then also have a look at the ODRC (Offas Dyke Rifle Club) website.A lot of range days, such as Sennybridge F range, take place with the FCSA and you'll see everything from a .22lr up to .50BMG (sometimes bigger!).
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
dave_303

#15 Post by dave_303 »

snayperskaya wrote:
Mgi wrote:It is also clearly stated in FCSA rules

Sent from my boing using "An application"
The same with ODRC that also shoots MOD ranges with the FCSA

But their site the last time I checked was full of photos of MoD ranges?
snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#16 Post by snayperskaya »

dave_303 wrote:
snayperskaya wrote:
Mgi wrote:It is also clearly stated in FCSA rules

Sent from my boing using "An application"
The same with ODRC that also shoots MOD ranges with the FCSA

But their site the last time I checked was full of photos of MoD ranges?
I would say those photos are on the clubs websites as a result of having permission to post them obtained from Landmarc and/or MOD.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

Maggot
Home club or Range: HRA and LERA

#17 Post by Maggot »

I have been signed up to the OSC since I was 18 odd, you have to take it seriously (regardless of what may or may not be available in tinterweb).

That said, I have to suspect the caginess is less down to security and more down to the number of misses they get lol :twisted:

Impressive when they get it right though....as long as you dont treasure your sinuses clapclap
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#18 Post by Ovenpaa »

DOGGER2UK wrote: Regarding your proposed .580". MOD field firing ranges have range templates that set out the maximum calibers and muzzle energies acceptable for individual ranges. you will find these published in the range hut on each range.
What is the max muzzle energy of the 580?
I have no idea as my slot is an open slot up to 14,7mm/.580 and I will not be filling it with such a rifle regardless of where it could be shot. I did however hope it would mean I could shoot something large again at some point as it has been a few years now.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#19 Post by snayperskaya »

[quote="Ovenpaa]

I have no idea as my slot is an open slot up to 14,7mm/.580 and I will not be filling it with such a rifle regardless of where it could be shot. I did however hope it would mean I could shoot something large again at some point as it has been a few years now.[/quote]

14.5mm?........

upload a picture

DaveT

#20 Post by DaveT »

Now that I have seen the picture and that muzzle brake I know who had me eating lumps of Salisbury plain as I fired my little 338 Lap Mag next door to you lol!