Range report, the SSG69P1 and 170 Lockbase

Made or missed the shot of a lifetime? Share your shooting trips with everyone. Tell us about it. We won't laugh, honest!

Moderator: dromia

Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Range report, the SSG69P1 and 170 Lockbase

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

Yesterday morning was an early start to get to the range with Duey of this parish for a mornings informal plinking at 200/300m. My interest was to confirm my 123 grain Scenar zero with the Accuracy International at 200m and get some range time with my SSG69P1 and with the 200m detail done we dressed back to 300m and I set about checking zero and doing some load development. The zero should have been reasonable however the 'scope has been on and off a few times so always worth checking. My rifle has the later pattern 6X 'scope which is zeroed by an outer knurled ring on the turrets that is locked in place with a slotted screw easily released with a suitable sized coin. This rifle has not been out for ages and first shot was a tad high and well right and I found myself cursing quietly as I wound the adjusting ring the wrong way on the windage and then over corrected however with some faffing around it came good and seemed to be putting the 170 grain Lockbases in the right area. I really must get a new BDC drum machined up for this rifle and just stick to the Lockbase for 300-800m stuff.

I seem to be in a minority when it comes to shooting the 170 Lockbase despite advocating their use and always getting good results with them. they might not apeal to the F Class types however they are go to choice for me in military type 7,62x51 or .308Win rifles.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

Re: Range report, the SSG69P1 and 170 Lockbase

#2 Post by mag41uk »

A mate is using these in his AW and rates them out to 900.
We were discussing this yesterday on F range where it was quite windy!
He believes they handle the wind better at range. Which I believe is what they were designed for.
I understand that a batch of ammo using this bullet was made for UK snipers for 900 metres shooting.
Apparently subsequently dropped as 900 metres thought to be too far.

May be shooting at a 1000 on Friday and he will try them again.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

The 170LB is used for the Lapua 170 HPS (High performance Sniper) and later on the HPS TI which is the same thing but with different powder so as to be less temperature sensitive. I have shot them to 1200
yards and could virtually guarantee to keep my shots inside 2MOA with a 26" barrelled AI which sounds poor until you consider how wide a man is across the shoulders...

The Lapua 170 HPS Used a Bofors powder however Lapua said you can use N550 to replicate, I personally used N540 with the AI. Yesterday I was shooting with Palma brass and TR140 loaded to 2.900" and well under the limit at 2700fps.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

#4 Post by mag41uk »

Interesting David.
I will pass that on to my mate.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#5 Post by Alpha1 »

Sounds interesting I might give them a try in my SSG.