Short Siberia

Made or missed the shot of a lifetime? Share your shooting trips with everyone. Tell us about it. We won't laugh, honest!

Moderator: dromia

shugie
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

Short Siberia

#1 Post by shugie »

Club Christmas shoot this morning, a lovely warm (for December) sunny morning, with tea, coffee, hot bacon rolls, mince pies and danish pastries. I made up a "santa on a stick" target for our traditional Christmas competition, with the intention of everyone using the club Envoy, but the sights were misbehaving, so everyone used their own rifle. Skewed the results a bit, but no one complained.

Two lanes over were some chaps doing csr practice and Enfield shooting, conclusion of their morning was volley fire in two ranks. On a fig. 11. Great to see people enjoying themselves like that, shooting is often a bit boring.
Careful now/that sort of thing
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

Re: Short Siberia

#2 Post by hitchphil »

he he that was Mois :-)

We did various sporting stances & positions, 2-3 in each dropping with timings to suit so 7 secs 2 shots; Standing, kneeling & prone etc

Were using an NRA AR15 & a 1942 ratty Mosin, a non ratty Schmit Rubin & my 1957 PF No4 but we left the SMLE in the cabinet. The volleys were the Rourkes Drift; front rank fire, second rank fire etc then form up & volley fire - also the chair of the assoc was butt marking for food & we didn't tell him about the volleys & on a hand held fig 11 head too! shakeshout we should have done a peel volley but we did that with 24 guns the weekend before so with 4 seemed a bit non event. The Garand 3 targets up from us was impressive!

Sat we shot TR on 90 then 1000, it was dim Very Very Dim! there is a great pic of us shooting at 3:55pm on 1000 with the cars behind with all their fullbeams on! good scores 48-44 in a 12 to 15 moa wind. Highlight was the mosin slammed it on 900m & worked out we needed to aim 13 foot upwind so aimed at the edge of the sand splash upwind to our target 2nd shot on the frame followed by then few 2s & a 3! but no Vs :bad: it will do that at 600 but it seems not at 1000 & on a windy day?

My RPA managed a 1-1.5moa group but not quite in the bull, best score of the day was a Barnard 48 with some V things fired by a chap who basically handn't fired it for a couple years! a good day - am now 'Knacked'.
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?
Gazoo
Home club or Range: Bishop Auckland

#3 Post by Gazoo »

Great !!
There should be more fun in shooting and volley fire would bring a smile to my face, should get some MH together for that some time.
I am surprised no jobsworth turned up to stop the enjoyment though.
Nice one.
You're all doing very well, keep up the good work everybody!!
Alea Jacta Est
shugie
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

#4 Post by shugie »

hitchphil wrote:he he that was Mois :-)

We did various sporting stances & positions, 2-3 in each dropping with timings to suit so 7 secs 2 shots; Standing, kneeling & prone etc

Were using an NRA AR15 & a 1942 ratty Mosin, a non ratty Schmit Rubin & my 1957 PF No4 but we left the SMLE in the cabinet. The volleys were the Rourkes Drift; front rank fire, second rank fire etc then form up & volley fire - also the chair of the assoc was butt marking for food & we didn't tell him about the volleys & on a hand held fig 11 head too! shakeshout
It would have been interesting to be holding the fig. 11 when you volleyed it! What was the bayoneted rifle that was stuck in the ground some of the time?

What club are you?
Careful now/that sort of thing
rox

#5 Post by rox »

shugie wrote:It would have been interesting to be holding the fig. 11 when you volleyed it!
Reminds me of our cadet instructor during a Bren demo. The cadet in the butts hadn't quite grasped the required timings. Amidst many bad words the instructor emptied the mag into fig 12. Cadet showered in splinters & left holding shredded stick. Happy days.

Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#6 Post by Pete »

We were there last Tuesday..........got fogged off Century 600, bored after putting six rounds of 6BR through the same hole at 100yds, and ended up enjoying a full English in the NSRA cafe.

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

#7 Post by hitchphil »

shugie wrote:
hitchphil wrote:he he that was Mois :-)

Were using an NRA AR15 & a 1942 ratty Mosin, a non ratty Schmit Rubin & my 1957 PF No4 but we left the SMLE in the cabinet. The volleys were the Rourkes Drift; front rank fire, second rank fire etc then form up & volley fire - also the chair of the assoc was butt marking for food & we didn't tell him about the volleys & on a hand held fig 11 head too! shakeshout
It would have been interesting to be holding the fig. 11 when you volleyed it! What was the bayoneted rifle that was stuck in the ground some of the time?

What club are you?
No 4 Fazakerly 1956, it was a target rifle, I converted it back to a service rifle sights & parked in the ground with No9 Navy bayonet picked up in a local junk shop for £10 :-)

various clubs but together as all NRA members we can shoot as if a club. (i.e. the NRA is a HO club)
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?