Valentines day on Century

Made or missed the shot of a lifetime? Share your shooting trips with everyone. Tell us about it. We won't laugh, honest!

Moderator: dromia

Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

Valentines day on Century

#1 Post by Pete »

DSCN2697 Cent 142A.jpg
Yet again, we had the place to ourselves.............apart from some guys on the electronics at 200yds.
A bit cold, but zero wind, (and four hours shooting for four shooters, £18 apiece!!! clapclap clapclap clapclap ).
AND, I got a load sorted for my 6.5x47 with 136 gr Scenar "L"'s. shakeshout

My kinda day..............

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Valentines day on Century

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

That caught my eye as I have had a couple of hundred 136's ready for my 6,5x47 and never actually got around to trying them, did you chrono your load?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Pete
Past Supporter

#3 Post by Pete »

Yes, 2.6grams of Elcho 17 gave 884m/sec (Magnetospeed). Lapua brass, KVB-223M primers, COL 69.0mm, 760mm 1:8 Lothar barrel, 0.5mm off lands.
Early days as it was the first run with these bullets. I ran 3 sets of five rounds, 2.5, 2.55, and 2.6 grams.
The last five at 2.6 were well inside 1 moa at 600yds, so definitely promising. Nice to get flat calm conditions for a change.
I've been using 123gr Scenars up til now, with reasonable results, but the 136's seem better all round.

Pete
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

That sounds encouraging and 844m/s is quite reasonable for the 136, I must give them a try.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#5 Post by dromia »

I would be interested in these results in proper units rather than foreign measures.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Pete
Past Supporter

#6 Post by Pete »

Well, I was a scientist of sorts when at work, and we don't use units like the length of a thumb when measuring............. :good:
However, for the benefit of the "imperial" trogs, the avg. MV for 5 shots was 2900 fps, ES 17, and this was achieved with 40.1 grains (rice? corn?) of Elcho 17.
This MV should give a speed of around 1400fps at 1000yds with the 136gr "L"'s.

The Lapua Scenar "L" line really are extremely well made bullets. I'm also using the 6mm 105gr in my 6BR's.

Pete