Hello from Chesterfield

New to the forum? Tell us who you are.

Moderator: dromia

Deadeye18

Re: Hello from Chesterfield

#21 Post by Deadeye18 »

WelshShooter wrote:
Deadeye18 wrote:
WelshShooter wrote:Ay oop my Chesterfield friend, welcome to the forum! A good friend in work hailed from Chesterfield before settling here in South Wales (at least it's not Lancashire right??) lol
Ay up WelshShooter so you found an escapee of ours eh,I visited south wales as a kid and remember it being very nice.
I spoke with my good friend, Mr. Nelson, who told me that he was born and raised in Grassmoor which is apparently the next village over to you at Hasland. He asked if you were married, and if you are, did you marry in the St. Mary's Church with the crooked steeple?
Hahahaaa tell him the spire is still crooked and still will be after I get married,got 2 kids so my missus is very nice to me. :good: We call Grassmoor "monkey hollow" ,don't know why but it's been like that for years.Maybe Nelson can tell you.oo oo.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#22 Post by Ovenpaa »

What do they say about the Spire? I seem to remember it was something along the lines of the Devil was on the spire one day and was so staggered by the beauty of a Chesterfield lass who was getting married that he nearly fell off and only saved himself by grabbing the spire with his tail hence the twist.

Sheffield people have a different take on the story, something about a virgin...

I prefer the idea that it was made with green timbers.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#23 Post by WelshShooter »

Ovenpaa wrote:What do they say about the Spire? I seem to remember it was something along the lines of the Devil was on the spire one day and was so staggered by the beauty of a Chesterfield lass who was getting married that he nearly fell off and only saved himself by grabbing the spire with his tail hence the twist.

Sheffield people have a different take on the story, something about a virgin...

I prefer the idea that it was made with green timbers.
My friend told me it was the latter and that the spire will straighten itself once a virgin has been married there. Obviously, it's still crooked lol
WelshShooter

#24 Post by WelshShooter »

Deadeye18 wrote:Hahahaaa tell him the spire is still crooked and still will be after I get married,got 2 kids so my missus is very nice to me. :good: We call Grassmoor "monkey hollow" ,don't know why but it's been like that for years.Maybe Nelson can tell you.oo oo.
I will take great pleasure in calling him a monkey!
Deadeye18

#25 Post by Deadeye18 »

They say that the devil was having his hooves shoed at Bolsover when the blacksmith drove a hot nail too deep the devil leapt up in pain and anger and landed on the spire twisting it and cursed the town.They also say if a virgin is ever married under it it will go straight.I think green timber theory is more likely though the virgin bit is definitely true!
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#26 Post by Ovenpaa »

I had not heard that one. Gotta love Chez girls all the same :)

Hmmm... come to think of it my daughter lives in Chesterfield.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Deadeye18

#27 Post by Deadeye18 »

Ovenpaa wrote:I had not heard that one. Gotta love Chez girls all the same :)

Hmmm... come to think of it my daughter lives in Chesterfield.
I've got 2,thankfully only 9 and 1.
Mattnall
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#28 Post by Mattnall »

Hello and welcome :wave:
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Deadeye18

#29 Post by Deadeye18 »

Cheers Mattnall