Phoenix scoring

All types of competitive shooting including Bell Target, MR TR F/TR F Open, GR, Small Bore and BR

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
This section is for people who shoot or want to shoot in competitions and includes future events, how to get started, choice of rifle and calibres including wildcats, how to prepare for your competition, and of course how you did!
mr_purple

Phoenix scoring

#1 Post by mr_purple »

hi all
I'm having my first go at the Phoenix this year , I've a question about classification . I'm an averagely good shot but from what I can see I will need to shoot near perfection to get any chance of a medal . Is this really the case ? and I don't understand the categories x,a,b within certain gallery competitons which seem to give different scoring results . Any enlightenment would be good and advice ?
Anyway I shall be giving it a go :)
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

Phoenix scoring

#2 Post by safetyfirst »

The Phoenix was my first event and I ended up going on my own in the end, I was made to feel incredibly welcome by all and got lots of useful tips from the very friendly RO's.

You'll be "classed" when you first shoot based on your scores so it's possible to win on your first try I think.

I was classed at my first Phoenix but only shot bianchi and steel plates. I shot really badly.

At another event I went on to win B in t&p 1 match and get a 2nd in A class for multi target, neither of which I'd shot before so go for it and just shoot your best! You can certainly win something!

Only trouble is that a good score in A can put you in X class for an event which means I'll NEVER ever get anywhere close to a medal...

Sent from my boing using "An application"
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

Re: Phoenix scoring

#3 Post by Daryll »

As above, I've got a few medals from Phoenix and I'm definitely a mediocre shooter (I claim I don't get enough practice to improve :D)

Try and keep it simple for your first trip, if you're shooting Gallery go with T&P1 and maybe Multi Target, that will still be enough to induce "brain fade" for your first attempt.

I tend to shoot the above 2 comps, and Phoenix A (all ex-pistol events I used to shoot), shoot them on Sat with .22 to remind myself of the timings, then shoot the underlever on Sun "for real".

Listen to the RO's, they will remind you of the course of fire before each stage, but above all have fun... and try not to spend too much on the trade stands.. :D
mr_purple

#4 Post by mr_purple »

I've been to Phoenix before but not to complete only watch so I know what to roughly expect .
Did you win on your first outing or do i get categorised and carry that forward into other standalone comps ?
I was going to do the comps you suggested and some steels across rifles / pistols
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#5 Post by safetyfirst »

The steels are great fun, bianchi is great fun too. Don't forget to know your aim points for 20,15,10 yards etc!
mr_purple

#6 Post by mr_purple »

To follow up on my original post I had the most fantastic day and completed a full days shooting of 9 competitions , a bit many but I got carried away on my entrance form !
I have to say I was made so welcome from everyone there and it was great to speak with other competitors , there was no pressure from anyone just a desire to see you do your best .
I'll deffo be back and I have to say a big thanks to the ro teams , they work so hard !
Anyone got an idea to when the results come out ?
CormieAckImp

#7 Post by CormieAckImp »

Glad you enjoyed it. It's daunting on your first try but the ROs and the other shooters make it so much easier. Results are normally out within the week.