Shooting Olympics Rio 2016

All types of competitive shooting including Bell Target, MR TR F/TR F Open, GR, Small Bore and BR

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
This section is for people who shoot or want to shoot in competitions and includes future events, how to get started, choice of rifle and calibres including wildcats, how to prepare for your competition, and of course how you did!
Christel
Site Admin

Shooting Olympics Rio 2016

#1 Post by Christel »

Strangely Brown
Home club or Range: NRA

Re: Shooting Olympics Rio 2016

#2 Post by Strangely Brown »

I would love to see full bore TR make a comeback to the Olympics.
Mick
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#3 Post by saddler »

Strangely Brown wrote:I would love to see full bore TR make a comeback to the Olympics.
....no chance. They're vehemently against shooting & want any sport using metallic cartridge arms off the radar.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#4 Post by Blackstuff »

From what I've heard/seen of Rio and Brazil in general I'd put a bet on that most of our Olympians will be fully proficient with firearms when they return. Otherwise, they'll likely not be returning. :run:
DVC
Chapuis

#5 Post by Chapuis »

saddler wrote:
Strangely Brown wrote:I would love to see full bore TR make a comeback to the Olympics.
....no chance. They're vehemently against shooting & want any sport using metallic cartridge arms off the radar.
You're spot on there mate. They have disregarded the history of the modern olympic games entirely. They have gradually changed most of the rifled arm sports to air and even that is not enough for them as they now want to change that to laser, you might as well play computer games.

Bring back proper shooting sports to the games. Running deer, running boar, rapid fire, centrefire pistol and all the other UIT events etc.
Mike95
Home club or Range: Harrowden Rifle Club

#6 Post by Mike95 »

Golf.....now that is really traditional....is archery still allowed...those nasty pointy arrows could be dangerous...

Mike95
Fedaykin
Home club or Range: Cawdor

#7 Post by Fedaykin »

For me as I have said before I would like it that the only Gold medals won by the British Olympic team be by the shooting team forcing the anti shooting BBC and wider press to give coverage for our sport.

I would love to see the interview from the BBC journalist of the British winners of 25 and 50 meter pistol, I would hope those winners would refuse due to the BBC's anti shooting stance and dire coverage in previous Olympics and Commonwealth Games!

There was that Olympics where the BBC decided to show a recording of a womans hockey game that involved no home nation (if memory serves correctly Sweden and another) despite there being a live final for a British shooter. Or how about the time when the BBC said in 2012 that British shooting would be covered in local news bulletins for the shooter involved. Or how about the Commonwealth Games in the UK where the BBC stated they didn't have the resources to send a camera van to the shooting at Bisley despite them boasting about being a global news organisation and able to have 100% coverage of election counts. Look at a map to see how far Bisley is from TV centre...(that there was a protest by British Pistol shooters post Dunblane ban didn't factor into their thinking at all no sir!) It should also be pointed out that there was resources being provided (by the BBC) to provide international coverage of the shooting at Bisley

wallhead

Or what is the betting that regardless of how well the British shooting team does at Rio they will get SOD ALL coverage by our national broadcaster...AGAIN! We will get the same old excuses about lack of wider public interest despite Shooting being one of the fastest growing sports in the UK!
I am Arthur Frayn, and I am Zardoz.
I have lived 300 years...

I am immortal.
I present now my story,
full of mystery and intrigue,
rich in irony, and most satirical.
Fedaykin

#8 Post by Fedaykin »

No it is just too far and logistically challenging for the BBC to send a single reporter, soundman and cameraman to Bisley during the Commonwealth Games.
Attachments
Just too difficult for the BBC!
Just too difficult for the BBC!

I am immortal.
I present now my story,
Sim G
Past Supporter

#9 Post by Sim G »

All of the shooting finals were covered by the BBC in 2012 and were available live, via the "red button" or on iPlayer catch up later on. In the London 2012 games Team GB only won one shooting medal, Gold for Peter Wilson in the Double Trap.

We won more medals in Taekwondo...
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Fedaykin

#10 Post by Fedaykin »

via the Red button and iPlayer...finals should be on the main channel but that is just my opinion on the matter. BBC coverage of shooting is dire and they deserve every barb in that respect as far as I am concerned!

"In the London 2012 games Team GB only won one shooting medal, Gold for Peter Wilson in the Double Trap."

Thumbs up for Peter Wilson, frankly the UK shooting team under-performed in 2012 and I hope they do better this year! The only Gold medals for the UK Olympic team would be fantastic ... a man can dream can't he

:p

I am immortal.
I present now my story,