Shooting Olympics Rio 2016

All types of competitive shooting including Bell Target, MR TR F/TR F Open, GR, Small Bore and BR

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
This section is for people who shoot or want to shoot in competitions and includes future events, how to get started, choice of rifle and calibres including wildcats, how to prepare for your competition, and of course how you did!
Sim G
Past Supporter

Re: Shooting Olympics Rio 2016

#11 Post by Sim G »

Fedaykin wrote:... a man can dream can't he
That, he can... :good:
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
legs748
Home club or Range: Mattersey R&PC

#12 Post by legs748 »

Face it, static target shooting on the TV is so deadly dull that it would have everyone turning to the paint drying channel. Can you imagine the commentary for a prone shoot?
"And the athlete is coming up to the firing point now, there he goes, lying down, cos that's what prone means to the non shooting viewers, lying down, yes there he is lying down with his rifle, taking aim now, so yes there he is lying down very still, yes very still, still very still - BANG - yes still lying down, still very still, let's go over to our reporter at the butts.."
"Yes I can confirm that a hole has appeared in the target."
"A big hole?"
"No quite small, but definitely a hole, in the middleish"
"Fantastic display from this athlete!"

Cut to footage of a potters wheel.......
It was working when i left it...........
Christel
Site Admin

#13 Post by Christel »

legs748 wrote:Face it, static target shooting on the TV is so deadly dull that it would have everyone turning to the paint drying channel. Can you imagine the commentary for a prone shoot?
"And the athlete is coming up to the firing point now, there he goes, lying down, cos that's what prone means to the non shooting viewers, lying down, yes there he is lying down with his rifle, taking aim now, so yes there he is lying down very still, yes very still, still very still - BANG - yes still lying down, still very still, let's go over to our reporter at the butts.."
"A big hole?"

You have a point ;)
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#14 Post by Ovenpaa »

I have watched finals of competitive shooting in the past and it is far from dull, however that was at the range as opposed to on a TV and lets face it, the commentary will often make or break the sport.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
DL.

#15 Post by DL. »

The commentary would have to be in the context of what the shooter would have to score to do well, and what other nationalities they could hope to outshoot.

It could be fascinating if the commentator knew their subject matter, I don't imagine some news organisations would make the effort.
Fedaykin
Home club or Range: Cawdor

#16 Post by Fedaykin »

legs748 wrote:Face it, static target shooting on the TV is so deadly dull that it would have everyone turning to the paint drying channel. Can you imagine the commentary for a prone shoot?
"A big hole?"

Haven't you watched Golf on TV?

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...................................
I am Arthur Frayn, and I am Zardoz.
I have lived 300 years...

I am immortal.
I present now my story,
full of mystery and intrigue,
rich in irony, and most satirical.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#17 Post by snayperskaya »

There will be enough shooting in the Favelas.....saw a report on the news last night and the military police are patrolling the slums, it looked like an army of occupation.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
legs748
Home club or Range: Mattersey R&PC

#18 Post by legs748 »

Fedaykin wrote:
"A big hole?"

Haven't you watched Golf on TV?

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...................................
No, because I have no interest in golf. And that in a nutshell is my point. We, on a special interest forum may watch the shooting, because we know how bloody hard it is to get all those little holes in the right place, what challenges there are, what outside factors need to be overcome, but entertainment it just ain't!

I think the only way we would ever get shooting on tv is if prince Harry set up an inter-service military/law enforcement comp, cos the media loves their "heroes".
It was working when i left it...........
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#19 Post by Blackstuff »

Lets get a petition going for practical shotgun in the Olympics then! :D I could just imagine the comments when all the pot bellies and moobs take to the screens lol
DVC
Fedaykin
Home club or Range: Cawdor

#20 Post by Fedaykin »

Talking about practical shotgun, anybody seen the Keanu Reeves video!

I am Arthur Frayn, and I am Zardoz.
I have lived 300 years...

I am immortal.
I present now my story,
full of mystery and intrigue,
rich in irony, and most satirical.