CSR Rifle Suitability

All types of competitive shooting including Bell Target, MR TR F/TR F Open, GR, Small Bore and BR

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
This section is for people who shoot or want to shoot in competitions and includes future events, how to get started, choice of rifle and calibres including wildcats, how to prepare for your competition, and of course how you did!
sclopetum
Home club or Range: Magna Gun Club, 1066 Rifle and Pistol Club

CSR Rifle Suitability

#1 Post by sclopetum »

I am keen to have a go at Civilian Service Rifle, and there is an NRA 'Civilian Service Rifle Skills Development Course' coming up in February, which I would like to attend.

I have question about the suitability of my rifle for this discipline. I own an Accuracy International AE, which is a pretty heavy piece of kit, and I guess would fall into the Practical Optic Class. I understand that a .556 would probably be optimal in order to be competitive for this discipline, and I could hire an AR-15 type rifle for the course, but I am quite keen to use my own rifle.

Does any one have any advice, thoughts etc.

Thanks

Graham
Mikaveli
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

Re: CSR Rifle Suitability

#2 Post by Mikaveli »

What's your trigger pull?

Do you have any spare mags?

I'm in a similar position myself to be honest - wondering which of my rifles would be eligible and in what configuration.

Do you have the course details btw, I might sign myself up for that too.
sclopetum

#3 Post by sclopetum »

Mikaveli wrote:What's your trigger pull?

Do you have any spare mags?

I'm in a similar position myself to be honest - wondering which of my rifles would be eligible and in what configuration.

Do you have the course details btw, I might sign myself up for that too.
Good question. I don't know what my trigger pull is, but will need to find out.

I have two 10 round and one 5 round mags

The course booking form can be downloaded from here:

http://www.nra.org.uk/common/asp/Calend ... RA&id=4030
Mikaveli

#4 Post by Mikaveli »

IIRC, if your scope can adjust down to 4.bowl and you have no bipod fitted (and maybe a 4lb trigger?) I think you land in the Service Optic class.

Over 4.bowl, bipod etc and you're in Practical Optic.

Someone should be able to give better advice - I haven't shot CSR myself yet.
Airbrush
Home club or Range: Nra

#5 Post by Airbrush »

Go on the CSR course, they are very well organised & you will be able to use your own rifle if it's compatible & also try the NRA Ar 15's.

Even if you don't think CSR is for you after taking the course you will still have had an enjoyable days shooting & I guarantee you will have learnt something from it. :good:
breacher
Home club or Range: EBSC

#6 Post by breacher »

Quite a few people use AI in PO class.
http://www.phoenixtactical.co.uk

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
shugie
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

#7 Post by shugie »

I did the course in November, and very interesting it was too. Given that you support the rifle for a lot of the extensive course of fire, unless you are built like a gorilla, something long and heavy might not be ideal. An AR-15 is about as heavy as I would want to use personally.

As most of the people on the practical part of the course I went on were using AR-15s, I think you'd get the best out of the course hiring one of the NRA ones.
Careful now/that sort of thing
sclopetum

#8 Post by sclopetum »

shugie wrote:Given that you support the rifle for a lot of the extensive course of fire, unless you are built like a gorilla, something long and heavy might not be ideal.
Yep that was my concern.

I think I will go with renting an AR-15

Thanks

Graham
polemass
Home club or Range: NRA Shooting Club Bisley

#9 Post by polemass »

CoF for 300m+ is usually prone,think about it.It is AM and PM match,one is short distance the other long one, mostly.Keen to use your own rifle-then do it.I am shooting now up to 300m only and will not buy AR.Check your optics and calibre first too,some ethnic cleansing is coming next season and only 5.56x45 and 7.62x51 only for SO class :bad: How hilarious....most of AR's has CIP proof for .223... wallhead otherwise it is good fun and you will improve your shooting skills,for sure :good:
Mikaveli

#10 Post by Mikaveli »

polemass wrote:CoF for 300m+ is usually prone,think about it.It is AM and PM match,one is short distance the other long one, mostly.Keen to use your own rifle-then do it.I am shooting now up to 300m only and will not buy AR.Check your optics and calibre first too,some ethnic cleansing is coming next season and only 5.56x45 and 7.62x51 only for SO class :bad: How hilarious....most of AR's has CIP proof for .223... wallhead otherwise it is good fun and you will improve your shooting skills,for sure :good:
Are they going to rename CSR to Civilian NATO Rifle then..?