EU gun ban - its happening!

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
HALODIN
Home club or Range: Oundle Rifle & Pistol Club

Re: EU gun ban - its happening!

#101 Post by HALODIN »

No it doesn't... it means there's a conflict of interest, it's akin to Stockholm Syndrome.

Bear in mind this was mostly British tax payers money in the first place, the EU doesn't have any money of it's own, it's just tax collected from member states. Whilst I can't verify these figures myself, let's assume they're correct and there's a net benefit to the UK of £300m in research funds each year. How long do you think EU research funding will continue once Portugal, Italy, Ireland, Greece and Spain have been declared bankrupt? Either the research funds will be dramatically reduced or the ECB will print trillions of Euros to recapitalise their member states... Printing Euros means each subsequent Euro's value will suffer from diminishing marginal returns. So whilst you might get the same nominal amount of Euros in funding, it won't be worth £300 million pounds when its converted to Sterling, it will be worth significantly less.

As for Stephen Hawking suggesting "We now recruit many of our best researchers from continental Europe," that's because our education system is in dramatic decline, standards have plummeted, it's woefully underfunded and heavily over subscribed. You'd think one of the brightest people on the planet could have worked that out. Maybe he's not as bright as we'd all hoped.

Here's a thought - Perhaps we could use our EU contributions to improve the education system and create our own world class scientists, it's worked in the past.
Fedaykin wrote:Ah you used the phrase "EU gravy train" that means the research conducted using that funding is inherently bad.

The EU paid back to UK research more than we paid in for research by the UK.
HALODIN

#102 Post by HALODIN »

Case in point, Britain is in Europe.
HH1 wrote:(when I was over in Europe for work)
HH1
Home club or Range: PSA

#103 Post by HH1 »

HALODIN wrote:Case in point, Britain is in Europe.
Ok, I will clarify..... when I went over to Mainland Europe on work related business wtf
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#104 Post by dromia »

HH1 wrote:
dromia wrote: Bloody research and academia, Benefits Street in gowns.
That is a bit harsh!
I don't think it harsh at all as I know many in academia and research that are just shirkers. My comment is however a generalisation and within it there will be people who work hard just as saying that people on benefits and lazy and idle is generalisation which doesn't reflect the fact that most of them aren't.

At the end of the day you seem dependant on hand outs of public money.

From what you say the hours you work are your choice so that is fine for you, if you "have" to do that as part of your job then you need to speak with some one. As an ex senior manager anyone who hasn't had a holiday in six years is outrageous and nothing to brag about. As manager I would never have allowed any of my staff to get to that sad state, your employer has duty of care to you which they seem to be failing in.

My advice to you would be make some time to get a life.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
RDC

#105 Post by RDC »

What has all this got to do with the EU gun ban? You've all gone incredibly off topic, throwing mud at each other over the impact of the referendum.

This thread is about an EU-wide impact on firearms legislation, not about any of that other stuff.

That said, has anyone seen an accurate and reliable breakdown of what is and what isnt affected? I've seen lots of interpretation, lots of noshbag words from organisations, but little plain-speak.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#106 Post by dromia »

No doubt that is why we are off topic as no one actually seems to have a clue what the consequences of this proposed legislation will actually mean and when it is, if at all, likely to come into effect.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
HH1

#107 Post by HH1 »

dromia wrote:
HH1 wrote:
dromia wrote: Bloody research and academia, Benefits Street in gowns.
That is a bit harsh!
I don't think it harsh at all as I know many in academia and research that are just shirkers. My comment is however a generalisation and within it there will be people who work hard just as saying that people on benefits and lazy and idle is generalisation which doesn't reflect the fact that most of them aren't.

At the end of the day you seem dependant on hand outs of public money.

From what you say the hours you work are your choice so that is fine for you, if you "have" to do that as part of your job then you need to speak with some one. As an ex senior manager anyone who hasn't had a holiday in six years is outrageous and nothing to brag about. As manager I would never have allowed any of my staff to get to that sad state, your employer has duty of care to you which they seem to be failing in.

My advice to you would be make some time to get a life.
I do "have a life" :good:

I'm not "bragging" about not having a Holliday in six years..... our Head of HR had a go at me in the corridor just this week because she says I should take a holiday. I had an assistant last year, trained him up to the point where I felt he could look after the collection and then he dropped the bombshell that he was leaving and going back to Ireland....... so I'm back to square one.... Anyway, the purpose of my posts was to show that not everyone working in research institutions sit on their bums reading / writing papers wtf
HH1

#108 Post by HH1 »

dromia wrote:No doubt that is why we are off topic as no one actually seems to have a clue what the consequences of this proposed legislation will actually mean and when it is, if at all, likely to come into effect.
Agreed, ....... its going to be a case of wait and see :o
HALODIN

#109 Post by HALODIN »

You've missed my point. Everyone I've spoken to who voted to remain were unable to distinguish between the EU and Europe. I've heard it all - "I don't want to leave the EU because I like going on holiday to Spain," "I don't want to leave the EU because I like being European," "I don't want to leave the EU because I don't want to isolate myself from Europe and the rest of the world." The list goes on.

Your comment below demonstrates your territorial and possibly organisational boundaries are blurred.
HH1 wrote:
HALODIN wrote:Case in point, Britain is in Europe.
Ok, I will clarify..... when I went over to Mainland Europe on work related business wtf
shugie
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

#110 Post by shugie »

HALODIN wrote:You've missed my point. Everyone I've spoken to who voted to remain were unable to distinguish between the EU and Europe. I've heard it all - "I don't want to leave the EU because I like going on holiday to Spain," "I don't want to leave the EU because I like being European," "I don't want to leave the EU because I don't want to isolate myself from Europe and the rest of the world." The list goes on.

Your comment below demonstrates your territorial and possibly organisational boundaries are blurred.
Ok, I will clarify..... when I went over to Mainland Europe on work related business wtf[/quote][/quote]

My parents used to take me on holiday to Spain when I was but a sprog, I don't recall it being particularly awkward, the only grumble I can recall was restrictions on how much money my parents were allowed to take out of the UK.

Following the Munich shooting the Germans, or some Germans, seem to be suggesting their licensing system needs looking at. But as this chap had no licence, and his Glock had the serial numbers removed, I'd hazard a guess it was an illegal weapon brought into Germany by someone using the Schengen free movement arrangement.
Careful now/that sort of thing