Distance Sales Sticky

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
nickb834
Home club or Range: Wakefield R&PC, Warwickshire Armourers R&PC

Re: Distance Sales Sticky

#51 Post by nickb834 »

So I've had a long chat with the Firearms Licensing Manager for the force that issued my ticket.

Upshot - yes as per the OP of this sticky - it is the original possessor who must enter the firearm onto your ticket - not the dealer that hands it over.

I made my concerns clear as regards sending a ticket to someone I cannot verify and equally as the seller of a firearm I cannot verify a purchaser (who blinks first to send a ticket) - I also pointed out the enhanced safety by a firearm transfer occurring via RFD and so on.

Said FLM happens to sit on FELWG, I suggested that this should be brought up at their next meeting as a matter of concern - as for eg - random home grown terrorist could follow up an ad on gunstar and visit said poor unfortunate to relieve them of their guns. Of course any seller permitting a purchaser to know their address runs the same risk whether or not RFD transfers are permitted - but that's on their head, for those that prefer an RFD transfer we're now reminded that this is not permitted under the law. (though not specifically prohibited!).

I enquired as to whether HO Guidance could adjust the definition of "transferor" from the 1997 act - and the opinion was not - it would need primary legislation (so rules out statutory instrument).

Finally - said force was of the opinion that anyone still undertaking RFD transfers might get a letter reminding them of the official process but certainly would not get revoked as "on the radar of things we need to be concerned about this is right at the bottom".

So there we are - clear as mud, carry on we won't tell you off but you will have committed an offence - brilliant!
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#52 Post by bradaz11 »

I was thinking about this the other day. Could you just post the transfer page of your fac to someone to sign over. As the rfd is going to check your paperwork and verify all is correct before handing over the gun? So if you don't gsg an empty slot he will not hand over the gun and you have to explain to police why your ticket has a gun you are not allowed entered into it?
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Christel
Site Admin

#53 Post by Christel »

nickb834, I have heard what you posted a few times now from various people.

What concerns me is the police force who is "out to get" an RFD, something like this is gold for them. Because so many RFDs are "doing it the usual way" it is so easy to get caught out.

RFD chap I know has been told by his local licensing department to transfer the gun he has taken in, in other words a distance sale situation, onto the buyer's FAC. Directly told, on the phone. So question is how does he handle that situation? I hope for his sake that he adheres to the law.
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#54 Post by saddler »

christel wrote:nickb834, I have heard what you posted a few times now from various people.

What concerns me is the police force who is "out to get" an RFD, something like this is gold for them. Because so many RFDs are "doing it the usual way" it is so easy to get caught out.

RFD chap I know has been told by his local licensing department to transfer the gun he has taken in, in other words a distance sale situation, onto the buyer's FAC. Directly told, on the phone. So question is how does he handle that situation? I hope for his sake that he adheres to the law.
Told on the phone?
During that phone call he should have asked for written confirmation.
Very widespread reluctance to put spurious requests on paper....
Christel
Site Admin

#55 Post by Christel »

saddler wrote:
christel wrote:nickb834, I have heard what you posted a few times now from various people.

Told on the phone?
During that phone call he should have asked for written confirmation.
Very widespread reluctance to put spurious requests on paper....
Don't know if he asked for that however he should have done. I never ever do a single thing without it in writing. Orders are not put in the job queue without email confirmation and if I am on the phone to the firearms licensing I always ask to have whatever they said confirmed in writing.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#56 Post by Ovenpaa »

One very important factor to take into account during any firearm related transfer or activity is Firearms Law takes precedent over your firearms licensing officer and/or department regardless of how well intentioned they may be.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#57 Post by Dellboy »

So i send off my FAC to purchase a gun and it goes missing for a month , so I am not allowed out with my guns as i cannot if stopped produce a current FAC ? I have guns at home that i cant produce a current FAC for ? )(and in Essex your own license and the police copy is not always the same ). So i am breaking the law surely ?

Would it not be easier to get a local RFD to purchase the gun ?
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#58 Post by dromia »

You would need to put that question to the GTA whose interpretation of the law this is and to Firearms Certification departments who demand and ensure compliance.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter

#59 Post by bradaz11 »

Dellboy wrote:So i send off my FAC to purchase a gun and it goes missing for a month , so I am not allowed out with my guns as i cannot if stopped produce a current FAC ? I have guns at home that i cant produce a current FAC for ? )(and in Essex your own license and the police copy is not always the same ). So i am breaking the law surely ?
so you don't go out shooting when you apply for a variation?
Last edited by bradaz11 on Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter

#60 Post by bradaz11 »

Dellboy wrote: Would it not be easier to get a local RFD to purchase the gun ?
this part was why I asked in another similar thread about what liabilities and guarantees an RFD has to give on a secondhand gun, compared to a private seller.

as if there is no real difference in liabilities, why can the recieving RFD not sign it over as a purchase, then sell it on to the new buyer? or would it cause issues with the taxman?