Distance Sales Sticky

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
MistAgain

Re: Distance Sales Sticky

#41 Post by MistAgain »

Not heard any comments from mine .

The only thing I have heard is the Home Office Minister is supposed to have said he will not allow clubs to have Long Barrel Pistols on a club FAC .
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#42 Post by safetyfirst »

Home office must want more people to buy pistols I guess.

I'll call my lot and register a complaint about the security of giving a stranger my FAC.
nickb834
Home club or Range: Wakefield R&PC, Warwickshire Armourers R&PC

#43 Post by nickb834 »

I've written to my force also (and the PCC) to make my concerns known (for all that that will do).

I can't see how anyone is a winner in this situation, dealer transfers as was will drop off, guns will end up selling only when people are prepared to travel - it sucks all round.

Maybe that's the point, restrict the market?

I suppose really it's hard to argue with what the law says in the '88 and '97 acts on this subject:

https://basc.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/ ... TIONS2.pdf

Note: I haven't fact checked the 88 and 97 acts to ensure that what BASC says here is actually in the acts, but the HO guidance in section 5.19 is pretty clear:
The transferor is the person who originally possessed the gun, and the transferee is the
recipient (and it is the transferor who must write the details of the gun and its transfer onto
the certificate of the transferee)
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... 16_v20.pdf

It looks like it's come about because of a clarification of who transferee and transferor actually are - and that it's been accepted long enough that the RFD was the transferor until recently (although I recall Caledonian Classic Arms sticking to the HO interpretation at least as far back as a couple of years ago - pre that BASC advice in Aug 2014 cos it was UK Shooting show in Feb 2014 when I had the convo with em on this subject).

Cat in hells chance of getting the HO to issue guidance to the Police saying that the RFD can act as the transferor (again / at all!).
nickb834
Home club or Range: Wakefield R&PC, Warwickshire Armourers R&PC

#44 Post by nickb834 »

So, I've had a response from the PCC, asking me for my phone number so they can pass it back to the FLO so they can call me to discuss.....

errrrr - shouldn't they have my number already cos oh I don't know - I hold a number of firearms????

I have pointed out to the PCC that this is an example of just how inefficient the FLO is being run in West Yorkshire - they're indicating to our new members 24 weeks for an FAC grant for example which is double the Home Office guidelines to issue (again pointed this out to them).
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#45 Post by Blackstuff »

Keep on wallhead ONe day it might actually get through to them! 8-)
DVC
MistAgain

#46 Post by MistAgain »

I have been told that Devon & Cornwall have been informing dealers that they cannot do transfers , that the seller is the one who must fill in FAC's and SGC's then return the cert to the buyer .

However Merseyside Police have told at least one person that they should not send their certs to sellers , the comment was " dont come crying to us if your cert gets lost in the post " .
Triffid
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Wey Valley

#47 Post by Triffid »

MistAgain wrote:However Merseyside Police have told at least one person that they should not send their certs to sellers , the comment was " dont come crying to us if your cert gets lost in the post " .
So presumably Merseyside Police don't include the standard condition that "The holder of this certificate must inform the Chief Officer of Police . . . within 7 days of the theft, loss or destruction of this certificate . . ." on their FAC's?

Triffid
MistAgain

#48 Post by MistAgain »

Triffid wrote:
MistAgain wrote:However Merseyside Police have told at least one person that they should not send their certs to sellers , the comment was " dont come crying to us if your cert gets lost in the post " .
So presumably Merseyside Police don't include the standard condition that "The holder of this certificate must inform the Chief Officer of Police . . . within 7 days of the theft, loss or destruction of this certificate . . ." on their FAC's?

Triffid
Merseyside Police are more interested in targeting innocent tree's !

Youths started picking apples from tree in park in Wallasey, Merseyside
Police battling anti-social behaviour ordered council to chop tree down
One resident suggested the tree had been 'murdered' by authorities
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#49 Post by Mattnall »

MistAgain wrote:I have been told that Devon & Cornwall have been informing dealers that they cannot do transfers , that the seller is the one who must fill in FAC's and SGC's then return the cert to the buyer .
This is how it is meant to be done according to the HO Guidance.

If the dealer buys from a customer to place in to stock (maybe part-ex, etc.) and then later sells to another customer, he dealer does the paperwork.

However Merseyside Police have told at least one person that they should not send their certs to sellers , the comment was " dont come crying to us if your cert gets lost in the post " .[/quote]

Cocks.
(oh, and recorded delivery is mentioned in the Guidance IIRC)
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
redcat
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Teesdale P&R Club.

#50 Post by redcat »

Maybe everyone should apply for an RFD? green55

Redcat
If you think you are a person of some importance, try ordering someone else's dog around.