Japan's very low gun crime rate

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Pinguino
Home club or Range: Bisley

Japan's very low gun crime rate

#1 Post by Pinguino »

BBC seem to be pushing the usual matra of no guns = no gun crime

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-38365729
David Nimrod
Home club or Range: North Cotes Butts

Re: Japan's very low gun crime rate

#2 Post by David Nimrod »

Pinguino wrote:
no guns = no gun crime
Japan has one of the lowest rates of gun crime in the world.

In 2014 there were just 6 gun deaths, compared to 33,599 in the US.

Discuss... any????
Please Wake Up Before Our Humanity Is Lost Forever
pigsy
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Bisley

#3 Post by pigsy »

Just read it.

I see Iain Overton is cited as part of the report. Usual names cropping again.

Interesting mention on Icelandic crime v gun ownership rate though.
David Nimrod
Home club or Range: North Cotes Butts

#4 Post by David Nimrod »

I think that a significant factor is that Japanese society is very 'different' to ours...

They're very big on conformity... especially for men.
Please Wake Up Before Our Humanity Is Lost Forever
Sixshot6
Home club or Range: Mattersey

#5 Post by Sixshot6 »

David Nimrod wrote:I think that a significant factor is that Japanese society is very 'different' to ours...

They're very big on conformity... especially for men.
The inverse is a higher than western "normal" suicide rate partly as a result of that, the Japanese mentality during WW2 and in living memory things like a man killing his whole family and then himself not being tolerated as murder. Also mass murder is not unknown in Japan either

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokyo_subway_sarin_attack

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/07/25/world ... ck-deaths/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osaka_school_massacre
Sim G
Past Supporter

#6 Post by Sim G »

But I don't recall the UK having a Sarin gas attack on the underground....

You can make all of the comparisons you want, but the make up of society is different for each country. I remember reading a few years ago that Japan's extraordinary low crime rate in general is because of very little outside influence on their culture. Immigration is low and integration, for wantbof a better word is very difficult. The language for a start is so difficult to learn and Japanese society has very strict protocols.

And Iain Overton, crime expert, is a liar and a fraud. The bloke's a dick. (Bring on google searches!)
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Sixshot6
Home club or Range: Mattersey

#7 Post by Sixshot6 »

Sim G wrote:But I don't recall the UK having a Sarin gas attack on the underground....

You can make all of the comparisons you want, but the make up of society is different for each country. I remember reading a few years ago that Japan's extraordinary low crime rate in general is because of very little outside influence on their culture. Immigration is low and integration, for wantbof a better word is very difficult. The language for a start is so difficult to learn and Japanese society has very strict protocols.

And Iain Overton, crime expert, is a liar and a fraud. The bloke's a dick. (Bring on google searches!)
Pretty much spot on, I believe the same goes for South Korea with only slightly more relaxed gun laws, the people doing this never mention places like various Caribbean countries with strict gun laws or even Russian/Brazil/Mexico that suffer murder rates that would make Chicago and Detroit blush.
Hrun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: PRPC

#8 Post by Hrun »

David Nimrod wrote:
Pinguino wrote:
no guns = no gun crime
Japan has one of the lowest rates of gun crime in the world.

In 2014 there were just 6 gun deaths, compared to 33,599 in the US.

Discuss... any????
33,599 is the liberal spin. Take out suicides, police shooting, legal gun owners defence shooting and most important, the 6000 or so shootings in places like Chicago where the gun laws are on a par with the UK yet drug gangs ignore the law and kill with impunity.

Then, we might be able to have a discussion..
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#9 Post by GeeRam »

Sim G wrote: You can make all of the comparisons you want, but the make up of society is different for each country. I remember reading a few years ago that Japan's extraordinary low crime rate in general is because of very little outside influence on their culture. Immigration is low and integration, for want of a better word is very difficult. The language for a start is so difficult to learn and Japanese society has very strict protocols.
Japan actively pursues and non-immigration policy and does not want its unique, orderly and somewhat safe culture and way of life diluted by multi-culturism so craved by the politicians of the western world.

Good on 'em I say.
Kungfugerbil
Past Supporter

#10 Post by Kungfugerbil »

Hrun wrote:...the 6000 or so shootings in places like Chicago where the gun laws are on a par with the UK yet drug gangs ignore the law and kill with impunity
Too much listening to Donald Trump...

Gun laws in Chicago are more relaxed than LA and New York; they have shall-issue concealed carry, guns don't need to be registered and there are none of the ridiculous featureless/bullet button/pistol grip nonsense that California has to put up with or magazine restrictions.

Last time I checked we weren't allowed semi-auto centrefire, concealed carry handguns or unlimited firearms without registering them over here. Or unlimited ammunition purchases whilst doing the weekly shop :)