Pistol shooting - political

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Hrun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: PRPC

Re: Pistol shooting - political

#31 Post by Hrun »

froggy wrote:But if it came to pass that we could have 22's stored in a club , the GCN would be silent for a few months , and then they would start a new offensive to have all guns stored at a club .

Why would it change from the existing "club" guns ?
Because my guns do not belong to the Club..

Anyhow, my GSG 1911 is sat in my safe at home and is no danger to anyone. How is a .22 without an extended barrel and stupid coat hanger, more dangerous if I do not intend committing a crime.

As to the argument that it would be secure at the club, I am on the committee and have a set of keys to the club, so if I want to break the law it would be no more secure there, in fact less so as the club is unoccupied for far more hours a week than my house including all night every night.
froggy
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: HPRP (UK) + Corsaires Malouins (France) + Czech Rep

#32 Post by froggy »

I am merely making the point that only UKIP would support the re-introduction of pistols. Until that happens, one way of enabling pistol shooting for licenced shooters would be to enable clubs to extend the range of "Club guns" available to members & include hand-guns.
Want to shoot pistol ? Don't retreat... reload & run forward !!
http://dynamicshootingcz.co.uk/
Hrun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: PRPC

#33 Post by Hrun »

froggy wrote:I am merely making the point that only UKIP would support the re-introduction of pistols. Until that happens, one way of enabling pistol shooting for licenced shooters would be to enable clubs to extend the range of "Club guns" available to members & include hand-guns.
Interesting idea.. So, we cannot own them, but clubs could?

Sadly, even if UKIP ran the country it is never gonna happen, such is the way of politics. As I understand it the conservatives support relaxing the rules on hunting with dogs, yet the SNP voted against it despite Scotland already having more relaxed rules.. Done to make a political point
HALODIN
Home club or Range: Oundle Rifle & Pistol Club

#34 Post by HALODIN »

If the naysayers channelled half their energy into doing something positive towards it, we would have at least made a start. Those that don't ask - don't get.
froggy
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: HPRP (UK) + Corsaires Malouins (France) + Czech Rep

#35 Post by froggy »

Interesting idea.. So, we cannot own them, but clubs could ?

I know it's daft. We are a minority that nobody cares about & whether we like it or not, what-ever the press has to do with it, the public does not support individual hand-guns ownership. Let's face the fact that no political party/Gvnt will risk its neck on the issue of hand-guns ownership.

What I am suggesting is a "third way" that would enable practice of the sport, yet satisfying "public opinion" that no legal owner owns at home hand-guns that he can walk to a Scottish school.

After all, I seem to remember that the Tory Gvnt (pre-catastrophic Blair lunacy) was floating the idea of restricting hand-guns to 22lr that would be kept at clubs premises ?
I am sure a lot of pistol shooters were finding the idea abhorent at the time, but on reflection, today, wish we had gone that way.
Want to shoot pistol ? Don't retreat... reload & run forward !!
http://dynamicshootingcz.co.uk/
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#36 Post by Blackstuff »

froggy wrote:
After all, I seem to remember that the Tory Gvnt (pre-catastrophic Blair lunacy) was floating the idea of restricting hand-guns to 22lr that would be kept at clubs premises ?
I am sure a lot of pistol shooters were finding the idea abhorent at the time, but on reflection, today, wish we had gone that way.
There was going to be no extra restrictions put on .22 pistols. Full-bore pistols would have also still been permitted but the slides and cylinders would have to be kept at the club but you could take the frame home with you. I'm sure almost every would be pistol shooter would take the hand off the government that would permit that now :cry:
DVC
ordnance

#37 Post by ordnance »

Blackstuff wrote:
froggy wrote:
There was going to be no extra restrictions put on .22 pistols. Full-bore pistols would have also still been permitted but the slides and cylinders would have to be kept at the club but you could take the frame home with you. I'm sure almost every would be pistol shooter would take the hand off the government that would permit that now :cry:
It wouldn't be for me, it would be like buying a car but you had to store it at a garage and had to arrange to drive it.

#38 Post by 1066 »

The argument at time was that a local club, holding maybe 100/200 pistols would become a serious target for those with criminal intent. (at the time the IRA was the bogey man)

Any amount of concrete walls and iron doors is no defence by "criminals" who don't play by the rules. (We have a new bogey man now) There will always be a key holder, or maybe half a dozen, how would any one of them act if their family was threatened in the most extreme way. A finger or ear through the post could be quite unsettling I would imagine.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Blackstuff

#39 Post by Blackstuff »

ordnance wrote:
Blackstuff wrote:
froggy wrote:
It wouldn't be for me, it would be like buying a car but you had to store it at a garage and had to arrange to drive it.
I said 'would-be' pistol shooters, if you're in NI and you don't have them I'm appalled!! troutslapping lol
DVC
Kungfugerbil
Past Supporter

#40 Post by Kungfugerbil »

Part of the problem is the target shooting sports organisations who realistically represent the only valid reason for having pistols in the UK. They much prefer air over cartridge and are even moving toward laser instead of air for some disciplines. That will be all that is left in the future.

I can see their point of view; air pistols and rifles are easier to store, purchase, license, accommodate and set up ranges for. Every sports centre or school hall in the country can run a top level air event, and the *actual target shooting* process is the same whether air or cartridge.

It's bobbins of course and doesn't apply to anything beyond 25 / 50yds, but we've seen the start of the end at the Olympics.