Moderator question....

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
walesdave

Moderator question....

#1 Post by walesdave »

Gwent police don't like giving slots for moderators unless for stalking etc. - no H&S reasons for protecting your hearing.

Got me to thinking....
1) Can I take my .22 moderator off my air-rifle, while at the range and put it on my 10/22, then swap it back before leaving the range?
2) If I borrow a moderated rifle (not integral) while at the range am I technically breaking the law if moderators aren't aren't 'shareable' (like LBPs and Sec1 shotties)?

FYI: not planning on breaking any laws, just having a 'wonder'. Next renewal I'll apply for a moderator and not get put-off by the FEO like last time ;)
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Moderator question....

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

I would certainly suggest a more robust approach next time you discuss a sound moderator with your FEO, I can think of no reason why he should deny the application if based on H&S and I always state 'Hearing protection' when used in conjunction with range/target shooting. Having said that Lincolnshire have never had anything less than a positive attitude towards sound moderators.

Regarding borrowing a sound moderator at a range I can think of no reason why it cannot be done however some may point out a requirement for the item to be in Proof however technically this is not the case. Finally on the subject of using an air rifle sound moderator on a rim-fire, well they are often but not always exactly the same item...
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Chapuis

#3 Post by Chapuis »

Give them a try Dave but I can already see some of the arguments that they will put up to try and dissuade you.
1. What benefit is a moderator if there are others shooting on the range, you will still need to wear ear protection.
2. Do you have a genuine need for a sound moderator as you are only shooting on a range.

You might get lucky.

I shoot on a range where sound moderators are actively encouraged on centrefire rifles (tunnel range) but the members couldn't really justify a sound moderator for .22 use unless it was on a sporting rifle.

As regards borrowing a rifle on the range, the first question that will have to be asked is the club H.O. approved and are both the borrower and the lender members of that club. Though whether moderators are covered in your particular instance (non moderator holder) I am not sure.
We all know the situation with regard to similarity between air and rimfire sound moderators. Personally I wouldn't suggest that you have even though of putting your air rifle moderator on your rimfire without the necessary authorisation.
RDC

#4 Post by RDC »

In all cases, where is reasonably practicable noise should be reduced or eliminated at source. PPE is a last resort in H&S when it comes to protecting people from hazards. Hearing protection will only work so well, it makes sense to reduce noise at source before it even reaches your hearing protection.
Odd Job

#5 Post by Odd Job »

Further benefits of a sound moderator:

1) Decreased lead and propellant residues on the range
2) Decreased noise levels for neighbours
3) In some cases accuracy is improved

I'm frequently alone on our 25 yard range on a Sunday afternoon, and I enjoy shooting without ear muffs. There are sports fields on either side of our range and residential areas behind (with horses) so any reduction in noise is good.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#6 Post by saddler »

An open ex-MOD range I used to shoot target on, insisted on moderators if at all possible.
If none was fitted, you were made to shoot through a foam lined barrel (base removed first, of course)
....all down to some nimby jobsworth c*** moving to an adjacent cottage then having a moan - the range dates to the 1860's, so only about 150 years older than the gobshites bungalow
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#7 Post by kennyc »

you can argue the health and safety aspect, you can also argue that the Mod will decrease perceived recoil allowing fast target aquisition which is a massive plus in some competitions, a brake will do the second but is considered antisocial by a lot of folk.
HALODIN
Home club or Range: Oundle Rifle & Pistol Club

#8 Post by HALODIN »

I would suggest point 3 is THE reason to ask for one. It is well known that the weight of a moderator at the end of a barrel improves barrel harmonics. I never shoot without one on my .260
Odd Job wrote:Further benefits of a sound moderator:

1) Decreased lead and propellant residues on the range
2) Decreased noise levels for neighbours
3) In some cases accuracy is improved

I'm frequently alone on our 25 yard range on a Sunday afternoon, and I enjoy shooting without ear muffs. There are sports fields on either side of our range and residential areas behind (with horses) so any reduction in noise is good.
walesdave

#9 Post by walesdave »

Thanks for all the replies; I'd only thought about H&S (hearing loss etc.) but hadn't considered improving accuracy and reducing noise polution - good points to bring up with the FEO!

Don't worry, I'll give Gwent Police a run for their money at next renewel. I only fight one battle at a time, last renewel it was about their refusal to issue Sec1 shotguns to non-UKPSA members, next one will be about moderators :D