To my shame... how can I get rid of this?

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Yossarian
Home club or Range: SRPC

To my shame... how can I get rid of this?

#1 Post by Yossarian »

Relatively new shooter, and I thought I took cleaning seriously! Rifle in question is a stainless Howa, and I clean immediately after each shoot. The process is Forrest foam followed by wet/dry patches of Youngs 308 till I'm happy (which is normally a lot of patches) then using a chamber cleaning rod and cotton buds, again using Youngs. I give the lot a coat of oil before putting it away. Trouble is I've now found all this in the chamber after a fairly long time without use. To be fair I've only recently put a dehumidifier in the storeroom where the cabinet is, but can anyone tell me how I can get rid of this and suggest any better way of cleaning/preserving so it doesn't happen again?

Mods please move this if there's a better place for it. Ta.
Attachments
IMG_3032.JPG
IMG_3031.JPG
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: To my shame... how can I get rid of this?

#2 Post by dromia »

Are you sure it is rust and not congealed oil? It could just be the photo that makes it look like oil.

If it is rust a rub down with a pan scourer and some oil will remove it, next time just make sure that all surfaces are well coated and check the firearm regularly, I use Youngs 303, never heard of Youngs 308 but if the oil is like the calibres then the 308 will be inferior, and have had no problems with it it is a fine oil. For long term storage Xlox is hard to beat as it was designed to protect deck carried aircraft being transported across oceans.

The photos look more like the magwell in the receiver than the chamber, is the chamber/bore rusted as that is a different matter.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Christel
Site Admin

#3 Post by Christel »

Give that Howa a clean immediately, it should be ok.

I reckon your problem is humidity. Get some of those Napier VP90 and the humidifier working, also make sure you have enough air ventilation and that the room is not too cold.
Christel
Site Admin

#4 Post by Christel »

One thing to be aware of is that some wood will react badly to some oils.
Yossarian
Home club or Range: SRPC

#5 Post by Yossarian »

Thanks guys. Yes that's correct it is the mag well, there is a bit of contamination in the chamber though it's harder to see from the photos but I've tried it with the flash on it's the same contaminant whether that's rust or congealed oil. I've tried getting at it with wire wool and oil but can't get it in the tight corners. Even if I strip it I'm not sure how I'd get it in those corners.
Attachments
IMG_3034.JPG
IMG_3033.JPG
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#6 Post by kennyc »

Kungfugerbil
Past Supporter

#7 Post by Kungfugerbil »

dromia wrote:I use Youngs 303, never heard of Youngs 308 but if the oil is like the calibres then the 308 will be inferior
lol
TomH
Site Supporter Since 2017
Home club or Range: ORPC

#8 Post by TomH »

Stainless steel is very rust resistant in normal circumstances. That looks like oil. Should come off easily with a cotton bud dipped in Methylated Spirits. If it can get in Baby's little places.....
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#9 Post by Ovenpaa »

I agree, start off with acetone or methylated spirits however take care not to get it on the stock.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Site Supporter Since 2015

#10 Post by 1066 »

You could try a sharpened kebab skewer for the bits that are hard to reach.

I had a stainless Howa 1500 that was as prone to rust just as much as a blued one.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com