Latest fees consultation, Club fees increase £84 to £900

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Hrun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: PRPC

Re: Latest fees consultation, Club fees increase £84 to £900

#91 Post by Hrun »

Iain wrote:I don't do arsebook or twatter so I'm going to have to go 'Old school'.

I just can't get over the fact that he obviously hasn't read the part of my letter that clearly stated the current fees and the percentage increase.

Then again, he couldn't be bothered to grace me with the courtesy of a response to an earlier letter regarding the EU stitch-up. ****

Iain
Notwithstanding his ignoring the fact that the whole licencing system is for the benefit (and safety) of the taxpayer/ government and offers no benefit for the shooter other than to make it a really difficult hobby to enjoy..
Christel
Site Admin

#92 Post by Christel »

Iain wrote:I don't do arsebook or twatter so I'm going to have to go 'Old school'.

I just can't get over the fact that he obviously hasn't read the part of my letter that clearly stated the current fees and the percentage increase.

Then again, he couldn't be bothered to grace me with the courtesy of a response to an earlier letter regarding the EU stitch-up. ****

Iain
That letter ought to be picked up by one of our national shooting organisations to educate the Government on the whole shooting community.

Shooting in all it's guises is not a high risk activity (motorsport anyone), I am not aware of a license being issued free of charge apart from the explosives license and the European firearms pass.
As has been mentioned before, the licensing system is there to appease the public, shooters do not benefit from it.
I am frankly sick and tired of the negative wording and attitude towards shooters from the Government. That attitude is then transferred to the public.
Steve Barclay calls himself a conservative 8-)
Iain
Home club or Range: Norman Cross - RAFSAA

#93 Post by Iain »

I've currently got the following as a draft response to Mr Barclay

Dear Mr Barclay

Many thanks for taking the time to respond to my letter of February 21st last, regarding the Governments proposal to disproportionately increase the fees payable by Shooting Clubs and Museums, amongst others.

I believe a wise man once said something along the lines of “It is better to say nothing and have people think of you as stupid in preference to opening ones mouth, and proving it beyond all reasonable doubt.”

Your letter is empirical proof positive that for certain people, the same principal should be applied to the written word. I must advise you now that I have unashamedly copied your letter onto one of the Countries leading shooting forum websites in order to demonstrate to the wider audience, your appalling lack of knowledge of the subject matter.

Your statement that ‘licences are currently issued free of charge’ is interesting indeed and I would be very grateful to hear which ones, other than the explosives license and the European firearms pass, actually come at no cost. Let me help you…..they don’t exist.

Regarding the cost to the taxpayer, if you had taken the trouble to actually comprehend the content of my letter, it would have become abundantly clear that it is the extortionate rate of increase that is the primary issue. A rise commensurate with inflation is acceptable and no-one objects to that. It is a fact of life. However, the proposal that law-abiding owners of legally held firearms should be subjected to increases in excess of 1000% in order to pay for, amongst other things, existing and already utilised office space, is not only objectionable but simply beneath contempt.

To then go on and totally ignore the fact that the whole licensing system in this Country is for the benefit and safety of the taxpayer and not expect the taxpayer to contribute to its upkeep shows a naivety that beggars belief.

Your words make it abundantly evident that you couldn’t be bothered to take the time to ascertain the facts that prompted my letter, preferring instead to pompously pontificate the routine uneducated and misinformed claptrap normally reserved for diatribes issued by the rabid anti-gun lobbyists and those who foolishly believe in the ridiculous, blinkered assumption that targeting legal gun ownership in any form possible, is the panacea to all forms of gun crime.

I would even go so far as to hazard the guess that as soon as you saw the word ‘shooting’ in my letter, you chose not to trouble yourself by reading further, having already made up your mind to disseminate your own sycophantic political ideals rather than endeavour to address the genuine concerns of the people you purport to represent.

Thankfully we are fortunate there are still some members of the political circus that the law abiding gun owners of this increasingly septic Isle can rely on.

Thank you for wasting my time, and no doubt that of the countless others in your constituency that genuinely believed you were in such high office to look after their concerns.

Regards

So what do you think?

Send or bin? any????
Hrun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: PRPC

#94 Post by Hrun »

Delete the first three paragraphs, he will take them as an insult and stop reading..

And the last, as it suggests, do not bother responding..
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#95 Post by Alpha1 »

I would just send it as it is. Its not going to change his views but it might spoil his day with a bit of luck.
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#96 Post by Dark Skies »

Hrun wrote:Delete the first three paragraphs, he will take them as an insult and stop reading..

And the last, as it suggests, do not bother responding..
I agree. Whilst I'd love to be able to tell these fools exactly what I think of them I certainly couldn't hope to expect that they would then look into the matter on our behalf and, perhaps, come to our understanding.

Nobody is going to get on board after being insulted, even deservedly. They'll bin it.

Unfortunately after they've disgorged their mental diarrhoea it's our job to clean up the mess and gently educate them like the simple puppies they are.

Wouldn't hold out much hope for Barclay. He almost ALWAYS votes as his party tells him no matter how morally deplorable the stance is.

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/24916 ... hire/votes
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
glevum
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Cotswold Rifle Club

#97 Post by glevum »

Section 5 Licences are currently free.
HALODIN
Home club or Range: Oundle Rifle & Pistol Club

#98 Post by HALODIN »

The aim is to change their mind, not score one over on them, as tempting as that might be... A compelling argument should be enough.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Home office Approval

#99 Post by Alpha1 »

I'm renewing our Club home office approval. Last time it cost £87 for six-year this time it's over £300 how do they justify that hike. Another way of trying to pee us off.
RDC

Re: Home office Approval

#100 Post by RDC »

The argument was the the taxpayer shouldn't be subsidising the cost of such uncivilized hobbies.