TOO MANY GUNS?

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

TOO MANY GUNS?

#1 Post by Dark Skies »

Just had a phone call from the local firearm inspector regarding my variation - basically just a few fact-finding questions to check my current circumstances.

One thing that cropped up regarding security was the amount of firearms / ammunition that would be in my possession following a variation.
I have an assortment of ten rifles plus the variation for a couple of black powder pistols. So, potentially I'd have twelve firearms eventually.
Ammunition quantities aren't too high, in my view; aside for 1000 rounds for the pair of .22s I have permission for 400 rounds per caliber. In some cases I have two rifles in the same caliber - so it's not a case of 400 rounds per rifle.

Currently I have ample space in my two rifle cabinets bolted to the wall, floor, and each other. Sitting on top of those I have two pistol cabinets bolted to the wall, the rifle cabinets and each other. I use those for ammo. I have another pistol cabinet bolted to a wall elsewhere in the house.

During the course of conversation I was asked if I had any other security measures. Specifically, did I have any alarm in place?
Apparently with the variation of the BP pistols I would now be on the cusp of having a quantity of firearms and ammunition that would bring me within Home Office guidelines requiring an alarm. It need not be the full on wired to the police type of deal - it could just be one that sounded the alarm for the room they are kept in.
Whilst I'd probably be okay with my current variation if I were to request permission for further firearms this could be an issue.

This is something I've not heard of before. Certainly no mention was made during my renewal back in 2015. I'm in the TVP area.
Anyone else been told this / have access to the guidelines stating this recommendation?
Last edited by Dark Skies on Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Christel
Site Admin

Re: TOO MANY GUNS?

#2 Post by Christel »

Yup, we were in the Bedfordshire area and were told the same.
BamBam

#3 Post by BamBam »

GMP request an alarm after 6 firearms I was told on renewal. Already have an alarm.
Rockhopper

#4 Post by Rockhopper »

Non of that surprises me (apart from letting you get that far without already asking for an alarm!!).
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#5 Post by Dark Skies »

What sort of alarms are considered acceptable?
Are we talking ordinary household alarms?
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
BamBam

#6 Post by BamBam »

Ordinary alarm, not required to be connected to a call centre was what I was told. There is a higher threshold that requires a monitored alarm, but I didn't ask what that was.
phaedra1106

#7 Post by phaedra1106 »

A simple motion sensor or even a shed door type alarm fitted to the cabinet door usually does the job.

As long as it makes a noise when someone opens the cabinet or enters the room with the cabinet without deactivating it that should be enough for them.
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
bnz41
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#8 Post by bnz41 »

In Essex area when we asked for variations that would take us over the 10 firearms, 2xFAC's in this household we were told a monitored alarm would need to be fitted, we had it fitted 12 years ago.
20series
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#9 Post by 20series »

IIRC Cambridgeshire have a policy of up to 9 is Ok, over 9 requires an alarm and 12 as a max.

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
BamBam

#10 Post by BamBam »

20series wrote:IIRC Cambridgeshire have a policy of up to 9 is Ok, over 9 requires an alarm and 12 as a max.

Alan
So after 12 what happens?