Section 5 authorisation

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

Re: Section 5 authorisation

#11 Post by meles meles »

IainWR wrote:when not in the owners' hands).
Don't be speciesist, ooman. Paws will do...
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
walesdave

#12 Post by walesdave »

Out of interest, if I ever end up wealthy my 'dream' is to collect smallarms of the IDF from 1948 to 1967; as this would involve semi-auto / full auto rifles and SMGs would it be a Sec 5 authorisation for a collection or is there a special 'collectors' certificate? I understand Sec7.1 and 7.3 are available but these seem to only apply to handguns.
HALODIN
Home club or Range: Oundle Rifle & Pistol Club

#13 Post by HALODIN »

Thanks.
BamBam wrote:There are various types of Sec 5, if you're selling handguns after converting them to 2 shot for humane despatch then you won't be allowed full auto stuff unless authorised, with an application that explains why you need to have.
HALODIN

#14 Post by HALODIN »

You can't have section 5 for a personal collection, if you could we'd all have one. :)
walesdave wrote:Out of interest, if I ever end up wealthy my 'dream' is to collect smallarms of the IDF from 1948 to 1967; as this would involve semi-auto / full auto rifles and SMGs would it be a Sec 5 authorisation for a collection or is there a special 'collectors' certificate? I understand Sec7.1 and 7.3 are available but these seem to only apply to handguns.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#15 Post by Sim G »

Well supposedly, Ian V Hogg had a huge "private collection" of s5 weapons. Whether this was argued from a business point of view as a prolific author or not....?
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#16 Post by Blackstuff »

HALODIN wrote:Just out of interest, are all section 5 authorities the same? i.e. if you're an RFD, can you one day decide you want to furnish maritime security with their semi-auto firearms and have various section 5 firearms in your vault?
You need authority for each and every sub-section of section 5 of the 1968 Act to stock 'everything' so all of these;

5 Weapons subject to general prohibition.

(1)A person commits an offence if, without the authority of the Defence Council [or the Scottish Ministers (by virtue of provision made under section 63 of the Scotland Act 1998)], he has in his possession, or purchases or acquires, or manufactures, sells or transfers—

(a)any firearm which is so designed or adapted that two or more missiles can be successively discharged without repeated pressure on the trigger;

(ab)any self-loading or pump-action [rifled gun] other than one which is chambered for .22 rim-fire cartridges;

(aba)any firearm which either has a barrel less than 30 centimetres in length or is less than 60 centimetres in length overall, other than an air weapon, F5. . . a muzzle-loading gun or a firearm designed as signalling apparatus;]

(ac)any self-loading or pump-action smooth-bore gun which is not [an air weapon or] chambered for .22 rim-fire cartridges and either has a barrel less than 24 inches in length or F7. . . is less than 40 inches in length overall;

(ad)any smooth-bore revolver gun other than one which is chambered for 9mm. rim-fire cartridges or [F8a muzzle-loading gun];

(ae)any rocket launcher, or any mortar, for projecting a stabilised missile, other than a launcher or mortar designed for line-throwing or pyrotechnic purposes or as signalling apparatus;]

(af)any air rifle, air gun or air pistol which uses, or is designed or adapted for use with, a self-contained gas cartridge system;]

(b)any weapon of whatever description designed or adapted for the discharge of any noxious liquid, gas or other thing; and

(c)any cartridge with a bullet designed to explode on or immediately before impact, any ammunition containing or designed or adapted to contain any such noxious thing as is mentioned in paragraph (b) above and, if capable of being used with a firearm of any description, any grenade, bomb (or other like missile), or rocket or shell designed to explode as aforesaid.]
DVC
HALODIN

#17 Post by HALODIN »

thankssign