Cataract success

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Racalman
Home club or Range: LPSC and NRA

Cataract success

#1 Post by Racalman »

Last year I rambled on about having my right eye cataract removed and an implant fitted to focus at 1 metre.

I've just had the left eye done and set for distance and the results are excellent :good:

My distance vision is better than 6/6 with no blurring from the right eye and I can shoot iron sight rifles again. After 40 years I no longer wear contact lenses and I only need glasses for reading.

Happy days.

A cautionary note - the eye clinics push multifocal implants by saying that you won't need to wear glasses again, but the main reason is they make more money from them. When I was doing my research I found that, apart from the well known effects of glare and halos, they reduce the amount of light that reaches the retina by nearly 20%. This will be a problem when you get older. I mentioned it to my consultant and said that it was a ticking timebomb :o .
Strangely Brown
Home club or Range: NRA

Re: Cataract success

#2 Post by Strangely Brown »

That's Good news Racalman!

Since I had one done 17 years ago according to my optician the eye has got better & better.
Sadly it's not my shooting eye!
Mick
Gazza

#3 Post by Gazza »

Excellent news fella :good:
I remember my gran having them so bad her eyes were totally white and used to scare the sheet out of me when I was a young kid wtf
She eventually had them removed and it made no difference whatsoever :cry:
Racalman

#4 Post by Racalman »

Strangely Brown wrote:That's Good news Racalman!

Since I had one done 17 years ago according to my optician the eye has got better & better.
Sadly it's not my shooting eye!
Strictly speaking my left eye didn't need doing, but it was -5D and the difference between the two was too great for glasses to work. I didn't want to rely on a contact lens because if I couldn't wear it for any reason I'd be stuffed.
Racalman

#5 Post by Racalman »

Gazza wrote:Excellent news fella :good:
I remember my gran having them so bad her eyes were totally white and used to scare the sheet out of me when I was a young kid wtf
Was that because they didn't fit implants? My granny had hers removed then wore giant contact lenses.
Gazza

#6 Post by Gazza »

Racalman wrote:
Gazza wrote:Excellent news fella :good:
Was that because they didn't fit implants? My granny had hers removed then wore giant contact lenses.
This was in the mid 70's so I dont think implants even existed then. She was totally blind when the cateracts came off.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#7 Post by Alpha1 »

She would be if they just removed the cataract and did not fit a lens. They actually break up the existing lens with some thing akin to a ultrasonic probe they then remove the lens and refit the new one. Check it out on you tube you can watch the cataract procedures if you are that interested.
Check out the detached retina one as well if you have a strong stomach. I had both eyes done and a detached retina fixed in the same day. My eyes are great now the best days work I have ever spent. I need glasses for reading but other than that I have perfect vision.

They do it while you are awake by the way.
Christel
Site Admin

#8 Post by Christel »

Great success with my two cataract ops as well, apart from...the first eye that was done has got the streaks of light and halos and now I have been told that the "wall" that surrounds the new implant has folded so it is all fuzzy. I am at some point due laser treatment.
Racalman

#9 Post by Racalman »

Alpha1 wrote:They do it while you are awake by the way.
You can ask for a GA if you are nervous. I just had a premed which was very relaxing.
Racalman

#10 Post by Racalman »

christel wrote:Great success with my two cataract ops as well, apart from...the first eye that was done has got the streaks of light and halos and now I have been told that the "wall" that surrounds the new implant has folded so it is all fuzzy. I am at some point due laser treatment.
Sorry to hear that Christel. I hope the laser will fix at least some of your problems.