Cataract success

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Re: Cataract success

#11 Post by Alpha1 »

Can they not just replace the lens Christel.
Christel
Site Admin

#12 Post by Christel »

Alpha1 wrote:Can they not just replace the lens Christel.
The optician told me it is a simple procedure with a laser. No operation, just sitting there in front of the laser and a hole is made to allow the "fold" to unfold.

I could have gotten it all wrong however I am pretty sure that it what the optician told me.
Les
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: WRPC

#13 Post by Les »

I was told that I was developing cataracts at my last eye test (January). They said that they were OK for now, but how long does it usually take for them to be NOT ok? I've noticed a slight lack of 'contrast' in the left eye, but the vision is otherwise ok (apart from needing glasses, that is).
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#14 Post by Alpha1 »

It can take years its a slow process it does not just happen over night. Once your optician spots it he will let you know when glasses are no longer a option and refer you.
If you have any doubt speak to your optician.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#15 Post by Ovenpaa »

I was surprised when I was told I had the start of cataracts in both eyes, apparently many opticians will not mention it as they do not deem it to be important! My new optician is a reasonable sirt and has worked with me to get me the best combination of vision for both shooting and detail work and these days I wear a -9.0 multi-focal contact in my right eye which allows me to the see the target/quarry and read my wristwatch. My left has stayed at -6.0 for more years than I can remember. I just wish it was the other way round as I am right handed and right eye dominant.

I find the thought of an operation daunting and would like to avoid it for many years yet.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Racalman
Home club or Range: LPSC and NRA

#16 Post by Racalman »

Les wrote:I was told that I was developing cataracts at my last eye test (January). They said that they were OK for now, but how long does it usually take for them to be NOT ok? I've noticed a slight lack of 'contrast' in the left eye, but the vision is otherwise ok (apart from needing glasses, that is).
I had the same experience. My vision was still 6/6 but visual acuity is not everything in life. The cataract was spreading the light so if I looked at a brick wall in sunlight I couldn't see the individual bricks. Similarly my car dashboard was black in the sunshine. It was when I realised that the sight picture in my scope was deteriorating that I decided to do something about it.
Racalman
Home club or Range: LPSC and NRA

#17 Post by Racalman »

Ovenpaa wrote:I find the thought of an operation daunting and would like to avoid it for many years yet.
All operations carry risk, you have to weigh that up with quality of life they offer. I have had five operations under general anaesthetic. Each of them involved a lot of pain for a period afterwards but they have improved my life immeasurably.

I was nervous about having cataracts removed but I did my homework and (because the NHS wouldn't do it and I was paying myself) I studied the CVs of the local eye surgeons and chose the one I liked best. He was superb, the operations were painless and I was driving the next day.

The biggest risk if you are very myopic is probably a detached retina but they can repair that while you're in theatre.

Having been short sighted since I was a little kid I cannot tell you how much better the world looks now. Especially today when I was banging in the V bulls on Stickledown at 1,000 yards :good:
bofor
Home club or Range: Great WesternShooting Club

#18 Post by bofor »

I had my right eye done on Dec 8th on the NHS and they put in a Distance one as this is all they will use(cost I suppose) and he is going to do the left if I want, again distance one. I am getting a view of a line down the outside of the one he`s done but he didn
John
    bofor
    Home club or Range: Great WesternShooting Club

#19 Post by bofor »

I had my right eye done on Dec 8th on the NHS and they put in a Distance one as this is all they will use(cost I suppose) and he is going to do the left if I want, again distance one. I am getting a view of a line down the outside of the one he`s done sometimes but he didn`t say anything when I told him. I hope it goes away. I think distance is 20`+ but I can see my dashboard ok if I close the not worked on eye.

I am not sure wether to splash the cash and have the other eye done privately with different magnification or not. I can see to type this without reading glasses at the moment but its better to wear them as its clearer.

Not sure which way to go.
    John
      Christel
      Site Admin

#20 Post by Christel »

bofor wrote:I had my right eye done on Dec 8th on the NHS and they put in a Distance one as this is all they will use(cost I suppose) and he is going to do the left if I want, again distance one. I am getting a view of a line down the outside of the one he`s done sometimes but he didn`t say anything when I told him. I hope it goes away. I think distance is 20`+ but I can see my dashboard ok if I close the not worked on eye.

I am not sure wether to splash the cash and have the other eye done privately with different magnification or not. I can see to type this without reading glasses at the moment but its better to wear them as its clearer.

Not sure which way to go.
      The line/edge, I am not sure it really goes away however it seems that my brain doesn't "see" it that much anymore.

You will have the option of having a lesser lens put in so that you will have one good eye and one that works on closer up work however I chose not to as I was not sure my brain could cope with that. I use reading glasses.

I have spoken to quite a few NHS and private people and they all tell me the same, streaks of light at night, halos.
      The only difference as far as I can tell is that private gets the multi option so no need for reading glasses.