BASC or NRA?

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Lozza79

BASC or NRA?

#1 Post by Lozza79 »

I'm currently in the process of joining the NRA, not just to open the door to full bore shooting, but also to make use of their insurance in case any legal issues arise. However, I was wondering if it's also worth joining BASC as I hear they also help with legal issues.

Thing is, I hear whispers that BASC really just don't seem to care when people get guns confiscated for unfair reasons etc and don't really lift a finger to help the people affected when it all boils down to it. I don't know how much truth there is in that, but I've heard that from a couple of sources.

I have diagnosed asperger syndrome and consider myself lucky to actually hold a FAC. I always worry that an issue will arise concerning my aspergers. All it takes is one spiteful ignorant individual to call the police asking your guns are confiscated because they wrongly believe your ASD makes you a risk and before you know it you've lost everything. You hear about it all to often.

For this reason I really just want to be a member of a decent organization that I know will have my back if something goes wrong. Does anyone here know if the NRA will do a good job, or should I join BASC as extra back up?
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

Re: BASC or NRA?

#2 Post by IainWR »

See PM
Lozza79

#3 Post by Lozza79 »

IainWR wrote:See PM
Hi,

Just read your message, however it won't let me respond as I haven't had my account long enough. If that is the case then I'm fairly happy to use BASC. I wasn't trying to slander BASC or any of it's employees, I was just mentioning what I've heard from a couple of people. I care a lot about shooting and just want confidence that these organizations do what they say they do.
ColinR
Home club or Range: FCSA (UK), FDPC, NRA Member, Bisley

#4 Post by ColinR »

Personally I'd go with the NRA if you intend to do target shooting rather than stalking etc. The NRA provide, at a cost, a superb training program for new shooters and then when you have completed this Provisional training you will then, as a full member of the NRA, be able to book a range in your own right and shoot at Bisley. Also NRA membership includes benefits such as Insurance and legal assistance. Whatever you decide it is worth joining an organisation to support the work they do to protect the rights of shooters, but as I say if you are a target shooter the NRA is by far the best bet.
Dunc
Home club or Range: Marlow

#5 Post by Dunc »

What you've heard about BASC I can't say is wrong but it is certainly not my experience, and I've been a member for almost 30 years. I do know of a few people on other forums who continually moan about BASC not helping them when they had problems or had lost their guns but in the 3 cases that I know of, IMHO the police were quite correct to lift the firearms, but that is of course a matter of opinion. I know they (BASC) have been helpful when members are 'in need'. They certainly were for me.

But if it's target shooting you're doing, then the NRA are very good for the reasons already mentioned above. They have a very approachable, effective and helpful chap if you have any issues with your FAC and he liaises with all police firearms licensing departments. He goes out of his way to be helpful and I would say he's the best of any of the people I have dealt with in any of the associations. You may already have heard from him ;)

If it's target shooting you're mainly doing, then I would strongly recommend the NRA. And I'm 'speaking' as a member of the NRA, BASC and CA, all for different reasons.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions. (Some of these 'sensitive' issues are often better not discussed on forums.)

I'm actually on a shooting trip to Suffolk this weekend. Squirrel control!
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#6 Post by Alpha1 »

ColinR wrote:Personally I'd go with the NRA if you intend to do target shooting rather than stalking etc. The NRA provide, at a cost, a superb training program for new shooters and then when you have completed this Provisional training you will then, as a full member of the NRA, be able to book a range in your own right and shoot at Bisley. Also NRA membership includes benefits such as Insurance and legal assistance. Whatever you decide it is worth joining an organisation to support the work they do to protect the rights of shooters, but as I say if you are a target shooter the NRA is by far the best bet.
That only applies if you can actually access Bisley if you live at the other end of the Country then forget it.
Robert303
Home club or Range: Vintage Arms Scotland. Full voting HBSA member

#7 Post by Robert303 »

I have found the NRA very helpful when I club I belonged to had major issues with the police. They are also acting for members on some of the fall out from these problems. However be aware that it is the organizations insurance company that selects the solicitor should you need legal help and the quality of the solicitor can be a bit variable.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#8 Post by dromia »

I wouldn't recommend either as a National organisation as they both are failures in effectively representing and championing legal gun ownership in the UK.

Good shooting Insurance can be got a lot cheaper from other sources such as the Scottish Gamekeepers.

If you intend to shoot at Bisley and wish to book targets as an individual then joining the NRA is worth it.

On representation then the NRA seems to have a better track record than BASC from my experience however capacity seems to be a bit thin.

So if you don't shoot at Bisley as an individual then I would look at some of the other organisations for insurance and representation at a far better price.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#9 Post by Ovenpaa »

If you are a target shooter and ever have the opportunity shoot at Bisley go there, it is an incredibly special place steeped is in shooting history and has made some significant improvements to the facilities over the last couple of years. Membership of the NRA not only gains you access to the ranges it also gives you some reasonable insurance and supports a part of shooting. However there are some geographical considerations and there comes a point when it is just too far to travel to, for me it is an 8+ hour round trip and that is assuming there is no traffic so we have opted for BASC trade membership these days. Are BASC any better? Doubtful, all of our shooting organisations have a finite resource, are financially driven and have stake holders keen to see them be profitable which is essential if they are to remain.

Personally I would choose an organisation that best meets your needs for facilities, support and your location within the country. One thing I would add is take five minutes to track down someone within the organisations you short list and ask them what they are doing to promote shooting unity within the community and ask what long term plans exist to further tighten and enhance the relationship they have with fellow organisations.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Nelly2014
Home club or Range: WNSC, UKPSA, SDC, MYOB

#10 Post by Nelly2014 »

What about the UKPSA? I am a member, they seem active and are well regarded by Firearm Licensing. My club stages events by them but also NRA so I'm considering signing up especially if they are doing a deal at the show.