Great British Shooting Show

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Les
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: WRPC

Great British Shooting Show

#1 Post by Les »

I've been going to this show for the past 4 years, but I think this year will be the last. I don't know if it's just me, but the show has got very stale and predictable, and some of the prices for used guns are optimistic in the extreme.

I got a couple of goodies, but nothing that I couldn't have got cheaper on the internet.

I suppose if somebody hasn't been before, they'd think it was great. I know I did the first time. I went to the Northern Shooting Show last year, and I thought that was great, because it was new and different. I'll be going again in May, because with the new exhibition hall that has been built it should be even bigger and better this year.

Did anybody else go to the GB show today? What did you think?

Like I said, perhaps it's just me. I don't know what could be done to improve it, if anything. I think it's just a case of been there, done that, move on.
David Nimrod
Home club or Range: North Cotes Butts

Re: Great British Shooting Show

#2 Post by David Nimrod »

Well, my only purchase was a paperback copy of 'Seven Pillars of Wisdom' by T E Lawrence... for £1.

As to the actual firearms, well, there was too much to take in really.

I did like the Ruger Gunsite rifle, in .308... not so keen on the 'feel' of the Ruger Precision rifle.

To me, everything (new and secondhand) seemed expensive.

And we pay so much for American stuff, it's just ridiculous aaarggh
Last edited by David Nimrod on Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please Wake Up Before Our Humanity Is Lost Forever
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#3 Post by Dark Skies »

I went last year with the express intention of buying a shotgun - which I did.
Because I had a set purpose and therefore was on a mission I enjoyed the search.
Once my mission was complete the rest was kind of samey I felt. There were one or two interesting stalls but apart from the shotgun I came away empty-handed.

I've been considering going this year but going through the online show guide nothing I want seems to leap out of me.
The BP cleaning kit and sundries I need are outstripped by the £20 to get in plus another £20 in fuel.

Had hoped there might be some nice new Piettas and Ubertis to be had but the folk who might have them either don't have a stall or haven't replied to my emails.

The very best shooting show I've been to was at the NEC in the early nineties - but obviously most of the items I lusted over then are not available to us now. The large expanse given to airguns and airsoft on the show map hasn't helped.

The money spent on going to and getting into the show might just be better spent driving all the way up to Henry Krank in my case.
Last edited by Dark Skies on Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
David Nimrod
Home club or Range: North Cotes Butts

#4 Post by David Nimrod »

Dark Skies wrote:
The large expanse given to airguns and airsoft on the show map hasn't helped...
Definitely agree... plus dog food, ridiculous clothing, and all sorts of tat.
Please Wake Up Before Our Humanity Is Lost Forever
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#5 Post by bradaz11 »

Dark Skies wrote:

But it also the British airsoft show that almagamated to make the show so is hardly surprising they are there
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#6 Post by Dark Skies »

bradaz11 wrote:
Dark Skies wrote:

But it also the British airsoft show that almagamated to make the show so is hardly surprising they are there
True ... but at £20 a pop I expect more 'proper' shooting stuff. I don't care about well, toys, and stuff I used to buy when I was a kid.
I accept others may. But I and those who like stuff that goes bang proper want more of that. And bargains - genuine bargains.

I want to go to a show where I KNOW I'm not going to be able to resist buying stuff because it was there and a steal. I want to know I'll be coming back with armfuls of stuff because I wanted it rather than to justify the long drive and the expense.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Kungfugerbil
Past Supporter

#7 Post by Kungfugerbil »

The Northern show is half that and I thought was ace. For me it was doubly good as North Yorks police were doing on-the-spot instant variations, a service I took advantage of.

I'm going again this year for sure.
lasbrisas
Home club or Range: Bisley

#8 Post by lasbrisas »

We don't go because there's not much for the target shooter and I have a passion for WW2 and military rifles and not many of the usual suspects are there. I'm not really into tweed jackets, green wellies and O/U shotguns that cost £30k, I can get everything I want locally and it has been said before, 200 mile round trip and the cost of getting in also put me off.
daman
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: HRPC, NRA, BASC, BDS, Larbert, UKPSA

#9 Post by daman »

I went today, really just to take a look as I was en route to buy an lbp from a dealer not too far away.

Spent about an hour walking round, impressed by the size of the show.

Lots of people seemed to be making purchases, but I didn't myself.

Can't say I saw a lot of bargains, but still nice to be able to actually feel stuff that I might later buy on t'internet.

That said, not sure I'd pay £20 to go back unless I had a shopping list of specific items to pick up.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#10 Post by bradaz11 »

I'm only going as I'm driving past
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns