Well that will cut down on armed crime a lot...

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
TomH
Home club or Range: ORPC

Re: Well that will cut down on armed crime a lot...

#51 Post by TomH »

Gazza wrote:Sheeeesh!!!
I nearly followed through when I saw the officer in that picture holding the SMK air rifle. Are such things on the streets? Really? :D
You would think he would have dug through that pile of rifles to find an actual firearm for the snap.
I suppose I could be taking the picture out of context though, it could have been airgun collection being transported elsewhere 8-)
It's actually a BSA Airsporter.

Are the Police allowed nowadays to actually state that most illegal guns favoured by gangs such as AK's Glocks etc are actually easily smuggled into this country through our beloved open borders? Or would that be non PC?
Sim G

#52 Post by Sim G »

HALODIN wrote:We all know it is. They always are...

Honestly, that's what you've got? They always are? You really don't have a clue...
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
HALODIN
Home club or Range: Oundle Rifle & Pistol Club

#53 Post by HALODIN »

I'll bet you £100 I'm right.
Sim G wrote:Honestly, that's what you've got? They always are? You really don't have a clue...
Sim G

#54 Post by Sim G »

Up until four years ago you'd rarely handled a real gun. Because you collected deactivated guns gives the the experience to declare that all criminal auto weapons are deactivated "because they always are".

Give SO15, the NCA and SWCTU a quick call, they could do with an expert like you on an FMT, or even an EOD unit! You're a bloody genius with all those years of collecting and shooting airguns!

I bet you a £100 you are clueless.....
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

HALODIN

#55 Post by HALODIN »

OK sounds like the bets on, I'll see if a FOI request reveals if it's a deactivated uzi or not. I hope you're good for your money.
Sim G wrote:Up until four years ago you'd rarely handled a real gun. Because you collected deactivated guns gives the the experience to declare that all criminal auto weapons are deactivated "because they always are".

Give SO15, the NCA and SWCTU a quick call, they could do with an expert like you on an FMT, or even an EOD unit! You're a bloody genius with all those years of collecting and shooting airguns!

I bet you a £100 you are clueless.....
Daryll
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#56 Post by Daryll »

I'm pretty sure that chances are that if its been handed in, its deactivated...

If it was real and working, its too valuable to be given away...
froggy
Home club or Range: HPRP (UK) + Corsaires Malouins (France) + Czech Rep

#57 Post by froggy »

Ok ... I do get the "un-wanted guns" can fall in the wrong hands . But, what's the current "grey" Mkt value for a working Uzi to a smiley drug dealer or your friendly local muslim terrorist ??
1 bag ? 1.5K ?
So, lets' end it over to that nice plod at the next Gun amnesty ...

BTW, on that "archives pic" which kid did that pistol with blue slide was nicked from ?
Want to shoot pistol ? Don't retreat... reload & run forward !!
http://dynamicshootingcz.co.uk/
artiglio

#58 Post by artiglio »

There is an offence in law something along the lines of "causing fear , alarm or distress" , we are fortunate to live in a society in which we can for the most part go about our lives peacefully. We are also a country in which the use and ownership of firearms is relatively uncommon. As such any of the replicas/wall hangers/air guns etc will if used inappropriately result in an offence taking place. It was only a week or so back that the court case regarding the 4 year old being shot with an air rifle hit the headlines. Every year there are reports of potshots being taken at people and pets by those who patently should not have access to any sort of rifle/gun.
As such anything taken out of circulation will be seen as a positive move that also engages the public, so a winner on two fronts. We are all aware that the incidence of crime with firearms held on certificates is extremely low , especially if suicides are counted separately.(another subject for debate).
So given that we can't make the ignorant / criminally minded / irresponsible act sensibly the only other option is to try and limit their access to "firearms", any argument otherwise is effectively self defeating as the removal of any replica etc etc, does reduce the risk of an offence occurring.
Society would no doubt do far more good in preventing injury and harm by muzzling every dog or finding a way of disabling mobile phones whilst in a moving car. But neither is ever going to happen as dogs and phones are common place and seen as the norm.
Just as the authorities are hardly likely to publicise estimates of the number of illegal firearms that may or may not be entering the country, that's neither good news or reassuring to the general public.
Any crime firearm related will, as a result of the publics perception and a lack of interest in seeking more detailed data , for those with no knowledge of shooting as a safe legitimate pass time, be of concern.
So for me personally the greater the separation of legal and illegal use the more the better. Ideally the offences I detailed in my earlier post would never have happened and if they had to occur the miscreants would have been using knives/hammers whatever , to commit their crimes instead. 100% reduction will never happen but every little helps.
HALODIN

#59 Post by HALODIN »

FOI sent.
Sim G

#60 Post by Sim G »

HALODIN wrote:OK sounds like the bets on, I'll see if a FOI request reveals if it's a deactivated uzi or not. I hope you're good for your money.

But you reckon they always are deactivated, why would you need an FOI? The issue was where did you get that the Uzi in the video clip was deactivated, as you stated? You had no source, only your "expertise" from your vast experience, to declare that and all others recovered/handed in auto weapons as deactivated, because they "always are"....

By my reckoning, you are clueless, and you owe me 100 quid. And that's not a wild stab in the dark, it's gleaned simply from the "expert" words you've typed on this thread....