Flexing stock

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
bish789
Home club or Range: Vintage Arms Scotland

Flexing stock

#1 Post by bish789 »

I have a Howa 1500 with the Hogue stock, and there is as has been well documented a slight flex at the forend.
Has anybody successfully managed to sort this?
I was thinking of cutting out a bit of the inside of the bottom of the stock about 6 inches, starting from as near to the forend as possible working back towards the action, and inserting a 6 or 8mm solid carbon rod, and bedding it in with epoxy resin.
If you have done something similar, did it work and stop, or reduce the flex?
I know I could get a new stock, but I quite like the Hogue.
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

Re: Flexing stock

#2 Post by Daryll »

On my Rem SPS I sorted it by dumping the Hogue stock and getting the Chote Ultimate sniper stock...!!
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#3 Post by Alpha1 »

bish789 wrote:I have a Howa 1500 with the Hogue stock, and there is as has been well documented a slight flex at the forend.
Has anybody successfully managed to sort this?
I was thinking of cutting out a bit of the inside of the bottom of the stock about 6 inches, starting from as near to the forend as possible working back towards the action, and inserting a 6 or 8mm solid carbon rod, and bedding it in with epoxy resin.
If you have done something similar, did it work and stop, or reduce the flex?
I know I could get a new stock, but I quite like the Hogue.
I assume you have fired the rifle and had problems with the flex. What distance did you shoot it over and how bad is the flex. If you are just relying on other peoples experiences then why start chopping bits off it.
It might be fine as it is. If it aint broke don't fix it is my motto.
bish789

#4 Post by bish789 »

Thanks Alpha1.
It is more a preventative measure than a proven requirement.
I only picked up the rifle last week, so you're correct, I'll wait and see how it shoots with a bipod on first.
Doing the job itself doesn't bother me or fill me with dread, so if it does end up having to be done, then c'est la vie.
thankssign
daman
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: HRPC, NRA, BASC, BDS, Larbert, UKPSA

#5 Post by daman »

I have the 1500 in .223 with the Hogue stock and it shoots better than I can. As Alpha1 says, wouldn't rush to change it unless you see an issue.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#6 Post by Ovenpaa »

I have machined a slot in the underside of the barrel groove, glued a length of 8mm stainless bar in and re profiled the barrel groove for just this reason and it is worth the effort, especially when shooting off a bipod or wing mirror.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#7 Post by kennyc »

I went back to the Hogue stock for my stalking rifle as I never use a bipod on it and the shape and general feel of the Hogue stock is ideal for the purpose, my range rifle has inherited my Boyds thumbhole stock which is lovely for that use and turned out to be a PITA for stalking, for what its worth I have never had a problem with the bipod throwing off the shot on a range , I just find they get in the way when in the field
bish789

#8 Post by bish789 »

Ovenpaa wrote:I have machined a slot in the underside of the barrel groove, glued a length of 8mm stainless bar in and re profiled the barrel groove for just this reason and it is worth the effort, especially when shooting off a bipod or wing mirror.
Similar to what I was suggesting!
What did you use to fix the stainless bar?
I think if anything prevention is better than cure (I may of course be wrong aaarggh )
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#9 Post by Ovenpaa »

I use Devcon,run a round nosed cutter along the base of the channel, add a slight undercut then mask the channel as best I can cover the bar in the Devcon and drop it into place, beware they have a tendency to push out if you get air underneath however pushing the bar back in place and rotating it quickly resolves the problem if it does occur. I always make sure the workshop is warm when I do such jobs to ensure it sets reasonably quickly. Finally I run a large bull nosed cutter down the channel again to tidy things up. I always do the job in the mill so it is correctly supported and I have no additional set-up time for the final tidy up.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
bish789

#10 Post by bish789 »

Was it the 5 min setting Devcon?
Looks like you'd have to be quick getting in the right position?