Re-blue rifle - Hampshire Area

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
fra150l

Re-blue rifle - Hampshire Area

#1 Post by fra150l »

Looking for suggestions for having a rifle re-blued in the Hampshire area.

Before I get any comments, re-blue will not effect value of this rifle. Original finish is long gone. But I really like it and it shoots so nice I feel like tidying it up.

Thanks Tim.
Rarms
Past Supporter

Re: Re-blue rifle - Hampshire Area

#2 Post by Rarms »

If you just want to tidy it up, try a home re-blue kit. Done a couple now and fairly straight forward, and cheap.

Birchwood Casey one is the one I have used.
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#3 Post by Dark Skies »

If you go this route I find soaking parts in piping hot white vinegar strips off the vestiges of old bluing to get a nice even finish. Flush well in boiling water and then follow the manufacturers process for their kit thereafter.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
fra150l

#4 Post by fra150l »

Sorry should have said. I have stripped and done a home blue. Finish is okay, nice enough. But having got rifle back into service I really like it. Having seen professional 'blue' would like it better than I have been able to do.
Or maybe I have another go?!
Rarms
Past Supporter

#5 Post by Rarms »

For £25 quid for a Birchwood Casey kit and a couple of hours of your time I would try it anyway and then if you don't like it you haven't lost a great deal, and if you like the finish it makes it even more of a personal gun :)
Swamp Donkey
Home club or Range: Wessex Rifles

#6 Post by Swamp Donkey »

Richard stork. Www.thedevizesgunsmith.co.uk

Sent from my mobile using "An application"
Gazza

#7 Post by Gazza »

Ive bought a birchwood casey kit to renovate a 410 bolt action shotgun but still havent plucked up the courage to do it! wtf
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#8 Post by Alpha1 »

Gazza wrote:Ive bought a birchwood casey kit to renovate a 410 bolt action shotgun but still havent plucked up the courage to do it! wtf
Why it is a simple job.
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#9 Post by Pete »

http://bechaplin.co.uk/services/ have been helpful on a couple of occasions.

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Chapuis

#10 Post by Chapuis »

fra150l wrote:Looking for suggestions for having a rifle re-blued in the Hampshire area.

Before I get any comments, re-blue will not effect value of this rifle. Original finish is long gone. But I really like it and it shoots so nice I feel like tidying it up.

Thanks Tim.
What's the rifle Tim and what's it's value.
To be perfectly honest I have to say that most of the home blacking jobs I've seen have been very poor indeed. To have a rifle professionally blued or blacked isn't usually a cheap job as you only get what you pay for and a lot of the work is in the preparation.

Have you considered ceracoating? There are a few firms in the U.K. that carry this out and a friend of mine was quoted recently on a rifle by Tactical coatings in Hereford favourably for what I know would be an excellent job and extremely durable.