Vortex spitfire

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Gazza

Vortex spitfire

#1 Post by Gazza »

Anyone got a vortex spitfire red dot?
I'm after some general info by people who have had/got one.
Would you recommend one? pros & cons if any?
Would you say a decent red dot with separate magnifier is better?

I'm torn between the two 8-)
majordisorder

Re: Vortex spitfire

#2 Post by majordisorder »

The Spitfire is a great scope, but it's not as versatile as a red dot / magnifier combo. I particularly like the Spitfire's etched reticle and the clarity of the glass, it's very impressive and fast to acquire targets with..... but I more often that not use a SPARC AR/II on it's own and don't bother with a magnifier at all.

The key question you need to answer is do you always need 3x magnification? If the answer is no then either go for a 1-X mag scope or a RD with magnifier.
Black Rifle - Firearms, Ammunition, Vortex Optics, MDT Chassis, AR-15 accessories and "go-faster" bits for your Smith and GSG 1911
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by Blackstuff »

I feel and do almost exactly as above. A separate red dot and magnifier gives the most versatility, whether or not you actually need that versatility will largely depend on what you're doing with the rifle.

For example; the majority of my .22lr shooting is close range (sub 25m) rapid shooting at fairly large targets, therefore magnification might not only not be an advantage, it may actually be a disadvantage by slowing me down. I have the magnifier for the odd occasion when I'm required to shoot at longer distances or the target(s) are made smaller by being partially covered by a No-shoot target etc.

FYI I have a Holosun 503C red dot on a 1/2" QD riser mount with a Vortex 3x magnifier behind (when needed)
DVC
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#4 Post by bradaz11 »

i have it on the 22 i'm using for informal club practical matches. I found it to be good, quick to acquire, and I see green a lot better that red, so that's another plus for me (if the sparc came in green, i'd buy a 2nd one). the only downside was when we did some small targets from about 2 foot, with no kills interspursed, it was a total blur, but with my sparc, it would have been fine.

with the spitfire, there is also a large circle as part of the reticule, i find it easier to throw this over a target, than see and then place a small dot with the sparc.

I dont have a magnifier, so I can't comment on that side of things
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
BamBam

#5 Post by BamBam »

I had one sold it, found the reticle a bit busy for fast stuff and you do actually need to focus it. Needs a sunshade if you shoot early morning or late afternoon. I went back to a 1-4, still not as quick as a dot, but get on with that better than I did the 1x Spitfire.
Send it

#6 Post by Send it »

All depends on what type of shooting you want do? Do you want a permanent x3 mag? Is this for a .22LR or centerfire? The Spitfire x3 has a 5.56 BDC reticle. I run a SPARC II on my .22AR as i need quick target acquisition on steels and targets.

If you want a Red dot with the option for x3 mag, then the VMX 3T and SPARC make a great combo.
Gazza

#7 Post by Gazza »

Im going to be putting it on a .22 rimfire and shooting at 25 and up to 50 yards. From what I can see from the above comments so far the best all round is the red dot and magnifier. :good:
Send it

#8 Post by Send it »

Good choice. Think you will be very happy with that set up,

James
Grantd
Home club or Range: Wattisham/Vikings/Saxons

#9 Post by Grantd »

I have both setups. The vortex is a great optic, clear and crisp. The red dot and magnifier takes up more space but prefer it when getting bunnies.

Send it

#10 Post by Send it »

Nice set ups Grant