How old are you?

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.

How old are you?

Under 20
1%
20-29
14%
30-39
18%
40-49
30%
50-59
23%
60-69
11%
Over 70
2%

Total votes: 560

Sailor

Re: How old are you?

#161 Post by Sailor »

rattlesocks wrote:I took my GF's 20 yr old son and her daughter's 25 year old fiance full bore shooting one day. They are both avid first person shooter computer game fans - and they really enjoyed shooting actual examples of guns they had used in their games.
They never asked for another go though and never took any steps toward finding out more about shooting as a pastime / hobby despite me often bringing the subject up (not in any way nagging - but just chatting about my activities).

I asked them whether (as seems to be a fairly popular opinion amongst shooters) shooting in computer games scratched the itch sufficiently - leaving no need / desire to actually shoot real guns - albeit in less dramatic environments.

I was told that peer pressure was the problem. It is apparently OK for them to blast away at innocent pedestrians in Grand Theft Auto but if their friends found out they were shooting ACTUAL paper targets with circles on them they would be in social difficulties. They would run the big risk of not fitting in anymore.

I believe the media is the most powerful influence on how most people in this country think and what (black / white) opinions they like to think they hold.
I know they (the media) used to be down on the odd violent computer game - but the job they have done on (I think demonising is the word) shooting in the UK is pretty effective I would say.
I'm 24 and within my close group of friends most either shoot or enjoy the idea of shooting. Others that have no interest tend to assume I'm of good character to be trusted to own firearms.
Anyone that I've come across who frowns upon shooting or has a negative attitude towards the hobby won't get my time wasted on them. It's a shame that within my age group people's biased opinions of shooting can have a negative effect on others taking up the sport.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#162 Post by Mattnall »

Well, this thread has been going so long I may need to change my answer to the poll.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#163 Post by bradaz11 »

I have 4 months before I change brackets
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Dr.D
Home club or Range: Bisley

#164 Post by Dr.D »

Voted!
jonthebrit

#165 Post by jonthebrit »

Hope to get my youngest into it (15) but she's a little wary.
wool
Home club or Range: Chesterfield lner

#166 Post by wool »

73 and still learning.
GrizzlyGrant
Home club or Range: South wales

#167 Post by GrizzlyGrant »

Sailor wrote:
rattlesocks wrote:I took my GF's 20 yr old son and her daughter's 25 year old fiance full bore shooting one day. They are both avid first person shooter computer game fans - and they really enjoyed shooting actual examples of guns they had used in their games.
They never asked for another go though and never took any steps toward finding out more about shooting as a pastime / hobby despite me often bringing the subject up (not in any way nagging - but just chatting about my activities).

I asked them whether (as seems to be a fairly popular opinion amongst shooters) shooting in computer games scratched the itch sufficiently - leaving no need / desire to actually shoot real guns - albeit in less dramatic environments.

I was told that peer pressure was the problem. It is apparently OK for them to blast away at innocent pedestrians in Grand Theft Auto but if their friends found out they were shooting ACTUAL paper targets with circles on them they would be in social difficulties. They would run the big risk of not fitting in anymore.

I believe the media is the most powerful influence on how most people in this country think and what (black / white) opinions they like to think they hold.
I know they (the media) used to be down on the odd violent computer game - but the job they have done on (I think demonising is the word) shooting in the UK is pretty effective I would say.
I'm 24 and within my close group of friends most either shoot or enjoy the idea of shooting. Others that have no interest tend to assume I'm of good character to be trusted to own firearms.
Anyone that I've come across who frowns upon shooting or has a negative attitude towards the hobby won't get my time wasted on them. It's a shame that within my age group people's biased opinions of shooting can have a negative effect on others taking up the sport.
I'm 30, and pretty disappointed to hear that peer pressure would stop someone persueing a sport/hobby that they enjoy, although I don't talk with friends family about it as I do football/golf etc. I do feel that the way the media influences people puts a slight negative view on us.
froggy
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: HPRP (UK) + Corsaires Malouins (France) + Czech Rep

#168 Post by froggy »

I don't talk with friends family about it ... I do feel that the way the media influences people puts a slight negative view on us.

That "slight negative view" is a myth so I do the complete opposite , ie : I am very open about it, talk about it & invite as many people as possible to have a go at, organise events/W-E to promote what is a perfectly lawful hobby that we should not be embarassed about :good:
Want to shoot pistol ? Don't retreat... reload & run forward !!
http://dynamicshootingcz.co.uk/
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#169 Post by dromia »

Too easy to blame the media etc. At the end of the day people choose to be influenced and it is their choice to be anti gun or worry about "not fitting in" why would you wish to associate with people who have such bigoted thinking.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Mothman
Home club or Range: Looe Pistol and Rifle Club and Cornwall Full Bore Pistol Club

#170 Post by Mothman »

I will be 60 in October, now going through my 2nd childhood and enjoying every minute. Everyone is entitled to their own views and i will always listen but i like to shoot and fish and whatever anyone says against me doing such things will be taken on board but wont change what i do. We all have to get on, without being confrontational. I have friends that do not like it but i still remain in friendship with them. Life is too short, if they wish to walk out of my life because of this, well, its their loss. This hasnt happend to me much.
However, since joining Looe rifle club last year, i have met so many like minded guys n gals that i feel honoured to be a member. Some people though, no matter what you say will always be against shooting. You just have to live with that. Ime loving life at the moment, just off for a coffee in Looe.
Now living in Gods Country, Cornwall.

Walther KK .22
Piata .44 Black powder pistol
GSG .22 Long Barreled Pistol
CZ 452 .22
.38/.357 Puma Lever Action
.303 Enfield 1918
12 Bore Beretta 626
12 Bore Beretta Semi auto
12 Bore Muzzle Loader
.410 Hushpower