Home Guard Ranges?

Somewhere to share your tales, anecdotes and memories from past days.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please remember to respect the copyright of the author. Please do not post content from this section elsewhere without the specific permission of the author.
Meaty
Home club or Range: Grove Small Arms.Thetford Gallery, STANTA, Barton Road

Home Guard Ranges?

#1 Post by Meaty »

Good morning,
Does anyone know where I could find information on locations of old Home Guard Ranges/establishments? Near me, but in the middle of nowhere, there is what l think is an old range dug out of a piece of farm land and pacing it out it is 130+ yards from end to end and 20+ yards wide, so taking a few yards off for the frames and sloping bank at the butts end and a few yards at the other end for shooting points, it looks like a 100 yard range is feasible. It is planted with pines that appear to have been planted in the late 40's or early 50's (I counted the rings on a felled one!) so that ties up as well. This has got me intrigued and the thought of hunting around for more examples locally is quite appealing.
Thanks.
"There are four boxes to be used in the defence of liberty: soap, ballot, jury and ammo. Please use in that order."
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Home Guard Ranges?

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

Meaty, any chance of a photograph or link from Google maps to the location?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Chuck

Re: Home Guard Ranges?

#3 Post by Chuck »

Not sure if these people could help

http://www.pillbox-study-group.org.uk/sitemappage.htm
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!