Interesting Find in my Family History

Somewhere to share your tales, anecdotes and memories from past days.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please remember to respect the copyright of the author. Please do not post content from this section elsewhere without the specific permission of the author.
Jnadreth

Interesting Find in my Family History

#1 Post by Jnadreth »

Greetings all :wave:

My mother has been researching our family tree and something interesting has come up. My Great Great Grandfather served in the First World War unbeknown to anyone before now. The Strange part is that he was 39 years old upon enlisting in late 1915 and was rapidly tranferred to the 4th Rifle Brigade of the Prince Consorts Own. He toured in Macedonia for the Saloniki Campaign in 1917 and wikipedia says that this unit was made up of Sharpshooters/Scouts and Skirmishers and were pretty independent. Before this he was a Roadsweeper? wtfwtf Now to get into the Army at that age and for sharpshooting/Scouting is really odd to me. Just thought I'd share it with you :grin: Current thoughts I have is that he had his own rifle and went hunting *Cough Cough* Poaching *Cough Cough* with it :lol:
Sim G
Past Supporter

Re: Interesting Find in my Family History

#2 Post by Sim G »

39? He may have served before. My Great Uncle saw service during WW1 from 1915 to 1918..

Come WW2, he re-enlisted at 43 in 1940!! He survived WW2 also, as did all of his four brothers, one being my Grandfather....
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Jnadreth

#3 Post by Jnadreth »

Sim G wrote:39? He may have served before. My Great Uncle saw service during WW1 from 1915 to 1918..

Come WW2, he re-enlisted at 43 in 1940!! He survived WW2 also, as did all of his four brothers, one being my Grandfather....

I have seen his War Record...he had'nt served before at all ;) as one of the questions on his enlistment asks if he had served his country before smile2

I had suspected the Boer War...but apparently not :squirrel:
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#4 Post by saddler »

39?
WELL within the age limits for active service: when conscription was introduced in 1916, the upper limit at first was 41, later raised to 51

Back in those days the average man in the street was a lot more physically active than we are today - even more so if the man in the street was sweeping it!!
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#5 Post by saddler »

Jnadreth wrote:
Sim G wrote:39? He may have served before. My Great Uncle saw service during WW1 from 1915 to 1918..

I have seen his War Record...he had'nt served before at all ;) as one of the questions on his enlistment asks if he had served his country before smile2

I had suspected the Boer War...but apparently not :squirrel:
Wrong line of work to join up for the (second) Boer War; MOST men that signed on to fight did so once the annual harvest season was over & they were not needed on the farms until the following harvest
Jnadreth

#6 Post by Jnadreth »

saddler wrote:39?
WELL within the age limits for active service: when conscription was introduced in 1916, the upper limit at first was 41, later raised to 51

Back in those days the average man in the street was a lot more physically active than we are today - even more so if the man in the street was sweeping it!!
Well he wasn't conscripted...he enlisted voluntarly in 1915 ;) and he was tranfered to the Rifles shortly afterwards.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#7 Post by Ovenpaa »

My Grandfather went in during 1915 and came out 1919 although he did manage to come home twice in the period. Sadly all of his records were destroyed in the Blitz so I have no real of idea of what he was doing, I do know where he went though as I have a list of the places he visited.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Polchraine

#8 Post by Polchraine »

Whilst they the government are military hierarchy always kept up the "it wail be over by XXXX" pretence they knew deep down it could be a long hard fight and wanted as many fit men as possible.

He was certainly a volunteer as conscription only started in 1916. From what I have seen of war records volunteers were taken into a regiment, given basic training and if they were good in a particular area then transferred to a more suitable regiment.

My Grandfather did not want to go - never told why, but he was in what would have been classed as a reserved occupation in later years (food production) but he was conscripted anyway. Promoted to Corporal within 6 months and one MiD before being seriously wounded and the second MiD.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Jnadreth

#9 Post by Jnadreth »

Polchraine wrote:Whilst they the government are military hierarchy always kept up the "it wail be over by XXXX" pretence they knew deep down it could be a long hard fight and wanted as many fit men as possible.

He was certainly a volunteer as conscription only started in 1916. From what I have seen of war records volunteers were taken into a regiment, given basic training and if they were good in a particular area then transferred to a more suitable regiment.

My Grandfather did not want to go - never told why, but he was in what would have been classed as a reserved occupation in later years (food production) but he was conscripted anyway. Promoted to Corporal within 6 months and one MiD before being seriously wounded and the second MiD.
This is why my family think he may have had a gun as a civvie for a little rabbiting for food (Something other family members had done at the time) ;) It would account for why he was transferred very quickly to the Rifles, he only served from late 15 to late 17 when he was then transferred to the Labour Corp after his fitness went below A1 standard. Suprisingly for my Family at the time he was literate :lol: He never recieved any major injuries as his medical records are pretty clean bar a broken arm in 1907. I just find it very interesting that my family has a history with firearms :shakeshout: Would explain my interest :lol:
Polchraine

#10 Post by Polchraine »

Are you sure 4th Rifle Brigade of the Prince Consorts Own is correct ?

I would suggest it is the 4th Battalion of the Rifle Brigade - the Prince Consorts Own.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.