DeHaviland Beaver

Somewhere to share your tales, anecdotes and memories from past days.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please remember to respect the copyright of the author. Please do not post content from this section elsewhere without the specific permission of the author.
Jenks

DeHaviland Beaver

#1 Post by Jenks »

The first Beaver arriving at Middle Wallop.

Beaver at Sandhurst.

THE BEAVER

During 1953 the Beaver appeared at Middle Wallop, frequently piloted by Dicky Blyth (Wing Commander (Retired)). This was due to the efforts of Major G.H. Wotton, the CO GPR, who was pushing for all he was worth. The AOP at that time showed little interest. I remember Major Wotton flying on many occasions with the Wing Commander, at least on one occasion to take part in exercises in Germany.

On 16th November 1953 he asked me if I held a current PPL and confirming that I did, he asked me to go to Hatfield to pick up the civilian-registered Beaver. He said “Dicky Blyth will give you a check ride”.

I got permission to fly this by my flight commander (Bob Begbie) and arranged to be flown there by one of my students, Sergeant McConnell - a wartime glider pilot returning to flying.

On reporting to the Wing Commander he said there was a hell of a flap going on at Hatfield as another Comet civil airliner had gone missing and he couldn’t spare the time.

Having questioned me regarding my experience and finding that I had considerable experience with Pratt and Whitney engines and use of toe brakes, he gave me a typewritten sheet of pilots’ notes and said that “the engineer who will be following on to Wallop by road will answer any questions you might have”.

I note from my logbook entries that Major Wotton flew back to Wallop with me. During the next 10 days I flew on the strip and into the shortest fields then in use with full loads without the slightest problem. I considered it a fine STOL aircraft comparable with the Fieseler Storch which I had the great fortune to fly with the French Army in Berlin in 1951 (I won’t repeat what they said after flying the Auster).

My next experience with the Beaver was in April 1954 giving Major Wotton practice in strip landings as he was picking up the GOC London District and flying him to a field adjacent to the wartime camp at Devizes (since demolished). I was to go out by jeep to lay out the strip and then return with him to base. This was no doubt the first passenger sortie flown by an army pilot in Beavers.

The following days, 30th April and 3rd May, I note from my logbook I flew demonstrations at Camberley with an Auster also taking part - I note also that I flew passengers to Camberley on 4th May. Later I found out that a civil aircraft had been reported for low flying over the town of Camberley.

I flew the Beaver again in June and July 54 for the last time before posting to Malaya. What a useful aircraft it would have been out there during the Emergency, particularly with bomb racks fitted. I fully agree with a very senior officer who deplored seeing a first class “bush” aircraft being turned into an airliner.

I have often thought of the consequences of a Beaver with a full load of passengers having an engine failure with cloud right down to the deck. What use would all the expensive electronics be then? Myself, I have always been a little apprehensive crossing the Channel in a single-engined aircraft.

I mentioned earlier that the only officer at that time who appeared to be interested in the Beaver was Major Wotton; in the 20-odd hours I flew at that time, the only other persons interested were a few QFIs and students who rode with me.
dodgyrog
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

Re: DeHaviland Beaver

#2 Post by dodgyrog »

Nice Beaver :D
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

Picture taken in 1969:
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Jenks

#4 Post by Jenks »

dodgyrog wrote:Nice Beaver :D
Tee Hee! :lol: I was expecting that.

In the post above there is mention of a Sergeant Ken McConnell. In 1956 he crashed his Auster into the Jungle and despite an extensive search he wasn't found. Twenty one days later he crawled into an Orang Osli encampment. They raised the alarm and he was airlifted to BMH Taiping. My Dad took me to visit him. He suffered extensive injuries many broken bones including a leg. A very tough fellow.

Jenks

This from elsewhere..

In 1956, one of the main events of the year was Sgt. K. G. McConnell’s return after crashing in the jungle after 21 days on his own. He had survived entirely on what he had with him and the jungle itself—even to this day he is still quoted as an example to the Jungle Warfare School.
Robin128

#5 Post by Robin128 »

Keep them coming, Jenks.

;) :D
Scotsgun

#6 Post by Scotsgun »

Jenks,

You do know how to get my attention. I love the DH Beaver and the Max Holste Broussard. I got to know the Beaver when studying aeronautical engineering. I spent a month or so working on one.

I only wish i could afford to get myself a PPL and fly such an aircraft.
Jenks

#7 Post by Jenks »

Scotsgun wrote:Jenks,

You do know how to get my attention. I love the DH Beaver and the Max Holste Broussard. I got to know the Beaver when studying aeronautical engineering. I spent a month or so working on one.

I only wish i could afford to get myself a PPL and fly such an aircraft.

Scotsgun..
Back in 1961 I was sixteen years old and an Army Apprentice stationed at Hadrians Camp Carlisle. My dad was then still a serving soldier, WO1. and a flying instructor at Middle Wallop, he got permission for me to accompany him to work for a week, when I was on summer leave for some aircraft familiarisation/ experience. (jolly's) What a week. I had flights in Austers , Alouette, skeeter, and the Beaver. Hands on controls. On one trip in the Auster my dad was explaining about fliyng low using the contours, of the ground for concealment any way lots of hedge hoping. At one stage I casually said ''Is this as low as you can go?'' Now that was a mistake! I will admit to being frightened . I recall the wheels of the aircraft skimming along touching the growing corn and rising to cear the hedge at the end of the field when it seemed inevitable that we were going to hit it. Later I did a freefall parachute course at The Army Parachute Centre at Netheravon and one of the pilots who flew the Rapide was a chum of my dads who was stationed at Netheravon (Army Air Corp) ex Glider Pilot regiment. When the Rapide was grounded for what ever reason he would use a Beaver. Sadly I never got to Jump from a Beaver.

Jenks