Queen Victorias edict (underlined)

Somewhere to share your tales, anecdotes and memories from past days.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please remember to respect the copyright of the author. Please do not post content from this section elsewhere without the specific permission of the author.
Jenks

Queen Victorias edict (underlined)

#1 Post by Jenks »

LIFE IN PRE-WAR INDIA

Except for turning out in support of the Police during cases of civil disobedience which were fairly common, usually due to religion Hindu versus Muslim. The year’s events were predictable, ie January to April individual training which included range classification both rifle and machine gun.

It was essential to qualify as at least a first class shot on both weapons in addition to achieve a satisfactory standard firing the 38 pistol which were issued to number one and number two and range takers in the M.G. Company, to which I had the good fortune to serve.

Every Tuesday was route march day which involved a 15-20 mile “bash” which commenced early mornings (6.00am). The temperature at midday reaching up to 130 degrees Fahrenheit.

With the arrival of the monsoon in April the route march was changed to a “dog and stick” walk when the whole battalion would assemble on the square at 0600 hours (any dress). The Colonel would arrive and on a blast from his whistle off we would go through the mud for a 10 to 15 mile run and walk accompanied with our pets.

Every Thursday was a day off known as Queen Victoria’s holiday, so called because during a visit by Her Majesty to a barrack room, she noticed what were called “bed bugs” crawling along beds and the story goes she said from that day which happened to be a Thursday, would be devoted to getting rid of the pests. This was achieved by bed boiling and coir picking. The mattresses were filled with coir and needed picking which made them softer to lay on.

Another odd tradition which was attributed to Her Majesty was when visiting a Hindu temple she was told to remove her shoes. She then made a rule that in future any Indian entering British barracks must do likewise.

When I enlisted in the army I was asked what religion I was in. I replied “put me down for any as I am not really interested”. He said “would you like to follow the band” and like a damn fool I said yes - so he put me down as Church of England, a fact I regretted for many years.

This parade every Sunday followed the band and was at least 500 strong, every man carried a rifle and 15 rounds of ammo. The reason was that during the mutiny a British regiment was ambushed. Rifle racks were provided in the church. A friend of mine had obviously been advised as he opted for the Salvation Army - just a stroll and a cup of tea after the service.

During the hot weather period when the hill party detachments were away and companies were engaged in range classification the remaining troops were fully stretched in providing the essential guards.

These consisted of the Regimental Quarter Guard, G.O.C.’s Guard, Fort Guard and Hospital Guard which were all 24 hour guards with reinforce guards and stable piquet for night time.

Life was pretty good, plenty of sport and recreation. The midday meal (tiffin) at 12 o’clock and in bed for the afternoon. A bearer to do the cleaning, a dhobi for the laundry and a nappi to give a shave in bed. A mug of tea brought to the bed by the bearer and dinner at 7 o’clock.

Compulsory sport after tea, soccer, basketball, swimming and gymnasium all available. Evening entertainment two cinemas, dancing and tombola.