Bert hardy Photos

Somewhere to share your tales, anecdotes and memories from past days.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please remember to respect the copyright of the author. Please do not post content from this section elsewhere without the specific permission of the author.
Chuck

Bert hardy Photos

#1 Post by Chuck »

Especially liked the one of the Gorbals...memories...

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/photos/bert-ha ... 53510.html
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
Gun Pimp

Re: Bert hardy Photos

#2 Post by Gun Pimp »

Chuck wrote:Especially liked the one of the Gorbals...memories...

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/photos/bert-ha ... 53510.html
Excellent - classic images.
whoowhoop

#3 Post by whoowhoop »

Funnily enough, the Gorbal photo was used as an advert by a rodenticide manufacturer for a while, about 20 or so years ago, with the tag that the two lads had been ratting, but now they could lay poison instead.

sign01
Happy is he, who goes out for the amusement of himself, and not for the amazement of others
Chuck

#4 Post by Chuck »

I'd love to track down more photos like that, also old Oatlands / Rutherglen and Govan....I know they do some little booklets so titled. .Those Gorbals streets are a distant memory but I can still recall them, and the smells that went with them...the distillery for one. Pubs everywhere..but Lennox's sweet shop was a "must visit" after a trip to the Gorbals swimming baths...even if you were almost blind from the chlorine they always over-added to the water.

Came across my grandmothers (fathers side) photo album from when she was around teenage age...some were postacrds sent to her from friends on holiday..fascinating insight into the etiquette of the day....wish the places were still standing, I'd love to have seen them. other buildings I am sure are still there, just wish I knew the what area they were in.
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#5 Post by Ovenpaa »

/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Chuck

#6 Post by Chuck »

Cheers ovenpaa, had a quick look there just now, nothing doing - I'll try after brekkies with different search criteria.

I want to find some photos of areas like Buchan Street, Govan and Rutherglen Road around 1930 - 1940..

Sad postscript to that Gorbals Boys photo....I wonder what sort of life they had?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-g ... t-14131444
Blu

#7 Post by Blu »

Chuck, I was looking at old pictures of Edinburgh when I stumbled on these and remembered this thread. Check these out mate, photos of the old Gorbels. I think you might be in a couple of them as well. Incidentally, did you know that The Gorbels were built on the site of a former leper colony? Yeah really, no sh!t zzzzom :lol:

http://search.aol.com/aol/image?q=old+g ... omsearch51

Blu :twisted:
Chuck

#8 Post by Chuck »

Cheers Blu, much appreciated. ...You may well be right about me in a photo. I think I AM in a photo somewhere as a 2 year old standing in a back court (in the days when you could play safely) someone in the familiy said they saw it in one of those photo compilation books a while back - wish they had bought it. .

Some of those photos bring back memories for sure, the Old Gorbals and the back courts around the distillery before the buildings were demolished (distillery still going strong).
Chuck

#9 Post by Chuck »

Well that's an hour or so well spent, cheers blu