WW1 and beyond

Somewhere to share your tales, anecdotes and memories from past days.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please remember to respect the copyright of the author. Please do not post content from this section elsewhere without the specific permission of the author.
Chuck

WW1 and beyond

#1 Post by Chuck »

When we think of casualties in wars we tend to count the number of dead as the final tole when in reality the tally is far, far higher.

I thought I'd post some photos as an example to illustrate this -but once again they need resized for some daft reason! They'll follow later..GRRR Why is there such a daft system oin here, why not just have them up to a certain size, say 200KB

Anyway, my grandfather was in the BEF, when he married in early 1918 his stated occupation was Soldier, BEF - his wife, my grandmother was a munitions worker. Now if he had been killed in action the spin off was as follows:

No more elder son, ergo my uncle and his two kid PLUS their 2 kids PLUS
No more younger son, ergo my father - his three kids and their subsequent 5 grandchildren and 4 GREAT grandchildren

That's EIGHTEEN people that would never have born due to just ONE death - now multiply that by say 6 MILLION and look what war has cost humanity! Potential doctors, scientists, maybe a cure for cancer, altzheimers, parkinsons, common cold - who can tell.

Will we ever learn?
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
Chuck

Re: WW1 and beyond

#2 Post by Chuck »

Bravery citation edited out 2.jpg
Bravery citation edited out 2.jpg (41.13 KiB) Viewed 1653 times
Uniform - Copy2.jpg
Can't get better images due to daft resizing issues.
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

My Grandfather: Theatre of War served in (1) France. Date of Entry 01 August 1915. Discharged 04 March 1919 (Class Z) He was a Mule driver and father to three sons and a daughter (My mother) So from him:

4 Children
5 Grand children
4 Great grand children
3 Great, great grand children

That is 16 that I can think of, no brain surgeons in the list though, however there are some clever types, some very hard workers and some not on my Christmas card list.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Chuck

#4 Post by Chuck »

ovenpaa, amazing how the numbers soon add up eh. Now imagine the numbers within cultures who were how shall I put it, into large families.

I chose the 6 million deliberately as the Jews tend to produce a good number of scientists, lawyers, doctors, dentists etc...how much potential has been lost to the human race thanks to warmongering idiots of all colours and persuasions.

yes war has produced amazing advances in technology, usually mechanised death and efficient means of causing it..

Anyone advocating attacking a country which, by their admission, poses no threat to THEM should be put against a wall and shot!