NIVO (Night Invisible Varnish Orfordness)

Somewhere to share your tales, anecdotes and memories from past days.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please remember to respect the copyright of the author. Please do not post content from this section elsewhere without the specific permission of the author.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

NIVO (Night Invisible Varnish Orfordness)

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

Whilst at the Shuttleworth collection on Saturday I spotted a box of good sized patches of canvas that has obviously come off exhibits during refurbishment and were now available as souvenirs for a donation. Included were some 8"x8" ish patches from an Avro 504K finished in a sort of muddy greeny black and I chose one of the patches as much as a small contribution to the collection as anything, plus it seemed like a fun idea. Once home I wrote Avro 504 and the date on the back and popped it in a drawer for future research, it will almost certainly end up as an extra Christmas present for my son who like me is interested in such curiosities plus it was a little bit of history.

But what about the colour? Well black did seem a bit odd so I had a bit of a read and it turns out the black is actually NIVO (Night Invisible Varnish Orfordness) and yes Orfordness is not a typo. NIVO was developed in 1918 by the Experimental station at Orfordness, as a low-visibility colouring for the Royal Air Force it had a sheen to match that of open water on a moonlit night. It was a mix of yellow ochre, lithopone and ultramarine blue.

Well it made me smile, not just a pot of green and black mixed together and painted on.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Chuck

Re: NIVO (Night Invisible Varnish Orfordness)

#2 Post by Chuck »

Get a few bales and turn out some nifty night gear..... ;)
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!