Goodbye to all that.

Somewhere to share your tales, anecdotes and memories from past days.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please remember to respect the copyright of the author. Please do not post content from this section elsewhere without the specific permission of the author.
Jenks

Goodbye to all that.

#1 Post by Jenks »

The independant news paper has been running a feature entitled ' A history of the of the first world war in 100 moments' Today's offering is a piece by Robert Graves taken from his autobiography. And I think it is worthy of a read. as is his Auto biography...'Good bye to all that.'

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 40901.html

Jenks
Jenks

Re: Goodbye to all that.

#2 Post by Jenks »

Another one worthy of a read, the death of Edith Cavell executed in 1915.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 49937.html

Jenks
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

Thnak you for reminding me of Miss Cavell, I just spent a pleasant half hour reading about her across various locations.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Jenks

#4 Post by Jenks »

ovenpaa wrote:Thnak you for reminding me of Miss Cavell, I just spent a pleasant half hour reading about her across various locations.
I have always remembered/thought of her. Probably because she was executed the day before my great uncle was killed a Loos.

http://www.worldwar1postcards.com/edith-cavell.php

Jenks
Jenks

#5 Post by Jenks »

Just watched the Last episode of 'The Crimson Fields' on BBC1.. Bit of a coincidence the execution of Edith Cavall was announced as it had just happened. There was speculation by one of the main characters that the British did little to assist her, and prevent the execution as it might have suited them to have her as a martyr. Knowing what we now know of politicians I for one find it believable (just about). Incidentally next weekend I am visiting Etaples (Le Touquet) quite possible the location of the hospital portrayed in the series.

Jenks
Jenks

#6 Post by Jenks »

Interesting letter from the Independent on the inclusion of the death of Edith Cavall in the last episode of 'Crimson Fields'. Note the author of the letter.

let’s have more of the Edith Cavell spirit

The final episode of the BBC’s television series about volunteer nurses in the First World War chose to draw a parallel between one of the main characters in the drama and the real-life nurse Edith Cavell.

The Crimson Field has been described by critics as “fluffy”, a “period soap”, and an “opportunistic mishmash” of previous hit TV shows. So the reference to Edith Cavell may be aimed at offering some sort of “balance” by touching on the real-life courage and ultimate sacrifice of those involved in the war.

While the hospital sister in The Crimson Field faces execution by the British for refusing to disclose the whereabouts of her German fiancé, Edith Cavell was tried and executed for helping 200 Allied soldiers to escape from German-occupied Belgium.

The two “offences” sit worlds apart. But it is a pity that the courageous, caring exploits of Edith Cavell were largely overlooked by the producers. Instead, her inclusion in the storyline seemingly only serves to deliver an anti-war, anti-establishment message by one of the other characters saying there is nothing like an executed nurse to “reignite the fervour” and get everyone behind the war effort.

It was the outcry from the general public following Edith Cavell’s death that led to the Cavell Nurses’ Trust being set up in her memory and it continues to support retired and current nurses, midwives and healthcare assistants in need today.

It is to be hoped that if a second series of The Crimson Field is commissioned, then the sense of duty, vocation and self-sacrifice shown by nurses such as Edith Cavell will be uppermost in future episodes.

Kate Tompkins, Chief Executive,, Cavell Nurses’ Trust , Redditch
I have to say I enjoyed the series and thought that it covered some of the issues I would have expected by a programme portraying a WW1 military hospital on the Western Front in 1915... 'Shell shock', 'Self inflicted wounds' cowardice, courage. etc.

Jenks
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#7 Post by Ovenpaa »

While the hospital sister in The Crimson Field faces execution by the British for refusing to disclose the whereabouts of her German fiancé, Edith Cavell was tried and executed for helping 200 Allied soldiers to escape from German-occupied Belgium.
I totally agree and also did wonder if the BBC were worried having a German firing squad executing a British nurse was just too un PC or would taint the story line.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal