BBC2 - Captain Eric "Winkle" Brown

Somewhere to share your tales, anecdotes and memories from past days.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please remember to respect the copyright of the author. Please do not post content from this section elsewhere without the specific permission of the author.
Polchraine

Re: BBC2 - Captain Eric "Winkle" Brown

#11 Post by Polchraine »

IainWR wrote:
Polchraine wrote: Thanks ... and then he saw sense. Always fun watching CrabAir trying to land on carriers.
Errr ...

I was a member of Aberdeen UAS (as was my father). I loved messing about in boats and thought the Fleet Air Arm was the life for me, right up to the point that AURNU (work it out yourself A1) took me to Dartmouth.
About 30 years later, I landed on Lusty one dark and stormy night halfway down the North Sea, to collect a matelot who needed Comp A transport, and as I departed into the snowstorm, Flyco signed off with "nice job, God speed crab". I cried a little for our guy in the back.

Iain

Those were two separate sentences, the first acknowledging he saw sense and joined the RN rather than RAF and the second having a gentle dig at the RAF and their attempts to mimic the skill of RN pilots.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Jenks

Re: BBC2 - Captain Eric "Winkle" Brown

#12 Post by Jenks »

A friend alerted me that it was the 3000th edition of Desert Island Discs and that the guest was to be Captain Eric ‘Winkle’ Brown. **I am a huge fan of the programme** and an admirer of Captain Brown. I have just listened to the programme on iPlayer, I was not disappointed. the Captain naturally proved to be intelligent, and at the age of 95 years old still highly articulate with a excellent recall of the events of his interesting life and amazing career. I enjoyed his choice of music.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04nvgq1

** I don’t make a point of listening but I’m always pleased when I do catch it.

Thanks for the heads up Mark. :good: :wave:

Jenks