WW1

Somewhere to share your tales, anecdotes and memories from past days.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please remember to respect the copyright of the author. Please do not post content from this section elsewhere without the specific permission of the author.
Angelfire

WW1

#1 Post by Angelfire »

Just watched our local news on the Telly where one of the articles was about a family that lost five of it's sons in the great war. A quick google came up with this. It's so sad, it's amazing the mother ever got over it.

http://www.thelincolnshireregiment.org/beechey.shtml

Phil*
Calm or unflinching in face of trouble, defeat, or loss. May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies. If you can read this then thank a teacher. If you can read this in English then thank a soldier!.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: WW1

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

"It was no sacrifice, Ma'am," she told Queen Mary. "I did not give them willingly."

Such a tragedy, along with all the others lost.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Chuck

#3 Post by Chuck »

Tragic stories....
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
Jenks

#4 Post by Jenks »

Phil..

Sergeant 13773, 2nd Battalion, Lincolnshire Regiment.
Educated at St John's Foundation School for the Sons of Poor Clergy, Leatherhead and St John's College, Cambridge. He worked as deputy headmaster at Dorchester Grammar. The eldest at 38, Barnard Beechey joined the 9th Service Battalion of the Lincolnshire Regiment, in Lincoln.

He was the first of the brothers to die. Killed in the Battle of Loos, he charged to his death on 25th September 1915, aged 38. His body was never found. Just a few days before he was killed in September 1915, he wrote:
"I really am all right and don't mind the life, only we all wish the thing was over."
Killed at the Battle of Loos. Many more Lincolnshire men were to die on the 13th of October attacking the Hohenzollern redoubt. As did my Great Uncle 1/4th Leicetershire Regt.

Jenks
Jenks

#5 Post by Jenks »

An interesting and thought provoking article by Robert Fisk from yesterdays (3 August) Independant:

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/com ... 45299.html

Jenks