Otto Skorzeny

Somewhere to share your tales, anecdotes and memories from past days.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please remember to respect the copyright of the author. Please do not post content from this section elsewhere without the specific permission of the author.
froggy
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: HPRP (UK) + Corsaires Malouins (France) + Czech Rep

Re: Otto Skorzeny

#11 Post by froggy »

Are you sure ? I might be wrong but when I lived in Ireland I was told despite being born in NYC that he was brought back to Ireland still a toddler and only ever had the Irish citizenship ? that is the local "side" to it anyway.

As far as Skorzeny is concerned, without a shadow of a doubt he was an extraordinary soldier that always behaved well. Implying a shame for any country that let him in, is just typical of the usual idiotic media demonization.
Want to shoot pistol ? Don't retreat... reload & run forward !!
http://dynamicshootingcz.co.uk/
Egg on Leggs1
Home club or Range: Kings Heath Rifle Club

Re: Otto Skorzeny

#12 Post by Egg on Leggs1 »

froggy wrote:Are you sure ? I might be wrong but when I lived in Ireland I was told despite being born in NYC that he was brought back to Ireland still a toddler and only ever had the Irish citizenship ? that is the local "side" to it anyway.

As far as Skorzeny is concerned, without a shadow of a doubt he was an extraordinary soldier that always behaved well. Implying a shame for any country that let him in, is just typical of the usual idiotic media demonization.
He did indeed come over when he was 2 years old and brought up in Ireland. When he was having his adventures, including going to America to raise funds, captured and convicted to death, the Americans intervened with others to stop his execution in Dublin. The Special Friendship, (read dismantling of the Empire), was well under way.

Skorzeny, whilst capable, was an avid self publicist who would get himself onto camera at every opportunity. The Mussolini rescue was a classic. His jumping on a 2 seat aircraft with both seats occupied, he was a big twunt and threatened to shoot the pilot for no operational reason was absolutely incompetent. If you watch the actual film of rescue the aircraft falls off the mountain, only gaining flying speed in free fall.