Gottfried Sandrock . Killed in Action 1918

Somewhere to share your tales, anecdotes and memories from past days.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please remember to respect the copyright of the author. Please do not post content from this section elsewhere without the specific permission of the author.
bobbob
Site Supporter Since 2016

Gottfried Sandrock . Killed in Action 1918

#1 Post by bobbob »

I wasn't sure where to put this as they are not my memories but I had to share the story.

I recently joined the Great War Forum to find information about the unit that Bnz's GEW98 came from. I came across a thread entitled "This is the secret of Granddads trunk". The trunk belonged to a German soldier from WW1. Well worth a read. It is believed that on the day he died he was fighting against the 1st Battalion DCLI (Duke of Cornwall’s Light Infantry).

This is the full thread. http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forum ... 40572&st=0 Complete with other comments.
Here is a simpler version. http://liverpoolremembrance.weebly.com/ ... drock.html
Never say something in Cyberspace you can't say Face to Face!!

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the Full-Bore Forum.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Gottfried Sandrock . Killed in Action 1918

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

I skimmed the lightweight version and will go back and read it properly. It seems like a fascinating story
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Chuck

#3 Post by Chuck »

Likewise, truly fascinating and a great insight into a family history. Thanks for sharing it.
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
Ovenpaa

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

Ah, good you posted Chuck, I will go back and have another read.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Chuck

#5 Post by Chuck »

Like yourself I skimmmed over it but I am used to skim reading, the family artefacts were of particular interest since I have only just been through my own grandads stuff. luckily he came home from WW1 (BEF) with a Bravery Citation (posted a while back) and here I am (bummer some would say :lol: ).

Reading his postcards to my grandmother, looking at the photos (she was a munitions worker when they got married, he was still in the BEF) There is a few packets of his trench art too, Flowers from Flanders etc..All a great insight to his life then...Still got his cap badge and a dogtag. Best bit is he was just a lad when all this happened, I look at the photos and wonder what happened to those who were also in the photos. And I also think that when I was his age I was working with the Pru,whilst he was running about France in a kilt with a laoded rifle and fixed bayonet!

Whilst grandads trunk does not have a happy ending it is a fascinating bit of REAL history that many can identify with. It should be made compulsive reading in schools instead of bloomin Harry Potter!
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
bobbob

#6 Post by bobbob »

Hi Chuck.
Why not do something similar with your granddads stuff, even if it is only for us on this forum? Unless it is too personal to share. I am sure I wouldn't be the only one interested in reading it.

Whenever we buy a military rifle I spend hours looking for information on the history of the numbers and markings on it. You can unearth a lot of interesting information.

Chuck

#7 Post by Chuck »

bobbob, I have posted a few wee bits before, I think it was about this time last year. I would have no problem doing so again. Most of the photos are on an external drive right now and I have loads more to sort through and see what there is. I might be able to give it a crack towards the end of the week when Mrs T goes off with her pals for a day or two ( :shakeshout: :shakeshout: :shakeshout: )

I would need to maybe "redact" some bits but if I just stick to photos then should be fine...a wee sort of potted history. Some of the stuff is in storage, like a photo album I looked through a few weeks back, it had been lying on a shelf in the old fellas for as long as I can remember..I boxed it away when he died and only just got to looking more closely. Turns out it was my grandmothers before and around she met my grandfather so many of the cards are from around 1910 ish... or older..I think there is one with my great great grandmother in it - judging by the dress style and pram).

Leave it with me bobbob, it won't be as detailed as this thread or some of Jenks's excellent stuff though.
Ovenpaa

#8 Post by Ovenpaa »

I look forward to it Chuck.
/d

Shed Journal
bobbob

#9 Post by bobbob »

Chuck, as the stuff has been around for about 97 years I am sure we can wait a while longer :good:
Look forward to seeing more.

Chuck

#10 Post by Chuck »

:lol: :lol: :lol: aye OK, I'll see what I can find.