Vulcan Bomber XH558

Somewhere to share your tales, anecdotes and memories from past days.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please remember to respect the copyright of the author. Please do not post content from this section elsewhere without the specific permission of the author.
Christel
Site Admin

Vulcan Bomber XH558

#1 Post by Christel »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-so ... e-19952395

...looks like "she" is to be permanently grounded.
Chuck

Re: Vulcan Bomber XH558

#2 Post by Chuck »

What a shame, an awesome aircraft for sure....I'm amazed at how much it costs to maintain those things too, even in display mode..
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
Mr_Logic

#3 Post by Mr_Logic »

I am also saddened by this. The Vulcan is an amazing aircraft - there is almost a case of tweak the design, sort the avionics and make some more - their maneuverability was pretty legendary, and we lack a decent ground attack aircraft!
Charlotte the flyer
Home club or Range: Classified

#4 Post by Charlotte the flyer »

I think that the guys who look after her want to do another full season first. Best pray for a good summer. I've seen her once since she was restored, at RAF Fairford. If you are interested and can go then do so as you will never see the likes of her again. A friend of mine is part of the trust, he says to go to the non-airfied events like Windermere and Bournemouth as you see a totally different side of the aircraft.

A great triumph of British engineering :flag13:
The above post probably contains sarcasm or some other form of attempted wit, please don't take it to heart.
Chuck

#5 Post by Chuck »

At RAF cosford a while back I saw another side of a Vulcan, the UNDERSIDE.....Would hate to be under one of those if it was angry at you.....

Saw one fly overhead when I was in Manchester during the Falklands war...a sight to remember.
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
Charlotte the flyer

#6 Post by Charlotte the flyer »

The new building at Cosford is very good if anybody hasn't been for a few years. They have all of the V Bombers in the same hanger plus lots of other cold war jets. I think they have a lightning suspended from the ceiling in a vertical climb. Entrance is free, it's just of J3 of the M54.

Oh, they have aTSR 2 as well (possibly starts argument thread!)
The above post probably contains sarcasm or some other form of attempted wit, please don't take it to heart.
murphwiz

#7 Post by murphwiz »

Will be a sad day when she is grounded again, after all the effort to get her flying, it was a
Ways going to be a matter of time.
Been very lucky to finally see and hear her flying 2 weekends in a row, what a spectacle in the sky, I admit to having a lump in my throat when she screamed low overheard then to pull at power near vertical.
image.jpg
Charlotte the flyer

#8 Post by Charlotte the flyer »

tongueout
Attachments
VulcLanc.jpg
Harrier1980

#9 Post by Harrier1980 »

I had a tip off of a 'practice' display at (now Army, not RAF) Wattisham in August. about 6 hours notice.

A bit of local knowledge led me to the end of the runway, where I filmed these on my phone, apologies in advance, the sun was on the screen and it was difficult to see what I was filming.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejS_cZ5tkXE&[/youtube]

and

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOOUdkernys&[/youtube]

I have donated quite a lot of money to the trust over the years, and I will be very sad to see it grounded, but I think we all knew it would not last forever. I also thought I had seen her last flight in 1992!

ps if you watch the vids, don't forget to turn the volume up to 11
Harrier1980

#10 Post by Harrier1980 »

and if you want to see THE best ever Vulcan video, and hear what it sounds like when it is angry, watch this one. I think a few spectators needed new underwear.