Zombie proof homes

If we entered a time of Civil Unrest/Armageddon/Zombie Attacking, what would we do?

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Emergency planning regarding communication, water/food supply, shelter, equipment, transport and of course what guns to have with us!
Scotsgun

Re: Zombie proof homes

#11 Post by Scotsgun »

Blu wrote:Hmmm just a thought but we better hope that out of all the folks left that aren't zombiefied, there better be more than a few who know how to run nuclear power stations and the likes or zombies will be the least of the problems...
Blu :twisted:
Can't comment on the naval reactors but you don't need to worry about the power stations. Basically they're designed with a fail safe in which the rods will lower into the reactor if left unatended.
Blu

#12 Post by Blu »

Scotsgun,
Can't comment on the naval reactors but you don't need to worry about the power stations. Basically they're designed with a fail safe in which the rods will lower into the reactor if left unatended.
For some reason mate I'm not convinced. Left unattended for years those things are going to start falling to bits. then what?

Blu

#13 Post by Blu »

Mark, have a read of this mate, the planet without humans. Though nothing to do with zombies it's quite interesting none the less.

http://discovermagazine.com/2005/feb/ea ... L0_JayfWHs

Blu

#14 Post by Blu »

Scotsgun wrote:
Blu wrote:Hmmm just a thought but we better hope that out of all the folks left that aren't zombiefied, there better be more than a few who know how to run nuclear power stations and the likes or zombies will be the least of the problems...
Just been watching a video about what would happen if nuclear power stations were left unattended. As you say the fail safes would kick in but once the coal fired stations and the national grids started going down and the nuclear plants computers realized this they would shut down also. Thing is though, those back up fail safes are powered by diesel generators and when they run dry, then you're looking at complete melt down. On top of that there is also the chemical plants, (thousands of them worldwide) if left unattended will start spewing their toxic stuff into the atmosphere about a week later and a lot of that stuff is heavier than air. Again they have fail safes but those fail safes are only meant to be short term until human intervention puts things right.

So in conclusion, having millions of zzzzom shuffling around would be the least of the survivors problems.

Scotsgun

#15 Post by Scotsgun »

Blu wrote:Thing is though, those back up fail safes are powered by diesel generators and when they run dry, then you're looking at complete melt down.
Sorry mate but you're wrong. I studied nucleur power generation whilst doing engineering at Uni. Even the cheap and nasty French dustbin reactors of the 80s have dead-man triggers which instantly plunge the control rods. Also the containment chamber could sit in salt water for a 1000years without fear of a breach in containment.
Blu

#16 Post by Blu »

Scotsgun wrote:
Blu wrote:Thing is though, those back up fail safes are powered by diesel generators and when they run dry, then you're looking at complete melt down.
Sorry mate but you're wrong. I studied nucleur power generation whilst doing engineering at Uni. Even the cheap and nasty French dustbin reactors of the 80s have dead-man triggers which instantly plunge the control rods. Also the containment chamber could sit in salt water for a 1000years without fear of a breach in containment.
Scotsgun, when you say "plunge the control rods" I take it you mean plunge into cold water, okay I understand that now. The video I watched also dealt with spent rods at nuclear storage sites (75 of them in the US alone) It reckoned that those spent rods have to be kept in refrigerated flowing water and it's the emergency diesel generators kicking in that keeps to water cold. Once they run of fuel though then the spent rods will heat up the water releasing radio active steam into the atmosphere until they go to critical mass and that's when the problems begin.

Scotsgun

#17 Post by Scotsgun »

Truth is that there's alot of s h i t e. And scare mongering that always plays on people's worst nightmares whenever the word nuclear is mentioned.
Blu

#18 Post by Blu »

Scotsgun wrote:Truth is that there's alot of s h i t e. And scare mongering that always plays on people's worst nightmares whenever the word nuclear is mentioned.
Yeah I dare say you are right, the video I watched was put out by National Geographic, they are usually pretty good when it comes to that stuff. On doing some further research I did find that the info they put out regarding storage sites and the way nuclear materials are stored is very accurate. If it is not kept cooled then it goes into melt down as the backup system don't and won't last for ever, a few weeks at the most.