Internet Shutdown

If we entered a time of Civil Unrest/Armageddon/Zombie Attacking, what would we do?

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Emergency planning regarding communication, water/food supply, shelter, equipment, transport and of course what guns to have with us!
Robin128

Re: Internet Shutdown

#11 Post by Robin128 »

ovenpaa wrote:
Robin128 wrote:If the Government wants to shut your comms down...they can and will do it.
Can?

The have done it. The UK has closed comms towers in specific areas on more than one occasion, equally our growing dependence on GPS is at doubt as it can be both closed and shifted very easily.

And as for bugging...a certain SHF mast near Manchester and NI comes to mind.

And if I guess right, I'm not the only one who has signed OSA.

:)
Polchraine

#12 Post by Polchraine »

When the 7th July bombs went off in London the cellular network started to overload. The government asked the cellular companies to "block access" for low priority users - that means all pay-as-you-go customers and most contract ones.

I was at several stations trying to either get to my office or home and no-one except very few of us could get calls through. One of the requirements of the business position I held was that I had a high priority user tag on my number.

They will never take the comms down - but just stop access for the general public.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Robin128

#13 Post by Robin128 »

There were two things that were specified when providing service years ago...and it wasn't about whether the customer was business or residential.

There was a Preference class and a Priority class...is it the same now?

OOOOPS ....not on google. :oops:
Christel
Site Admin

#14 Post by Christel »

Robin128 wrote:If the Government wants to shut your comms down...they can and will do it.
Yes they can.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news ... ternet.ars

That article is a tad technical but explains well enough what may have happened in Egypt.