Internet Shutdown

If we entered a time of Civil Unrest/Armageddon/Zombie Attacking, what would we do?

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Emergency planning regarding communication, water/food supply, shelter, equipment, transport and of course what guns to have with us!
25Pdr
Past Supporter

Internet Shutdown

#1 Post by 25Pdr »

With the riots taking place in Egypt and the reported ease with which the Authorities were able to shut down the Internet and Phone communication.........

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... ernet.html

I'm thinking again about having an alternative means of communication/information, in case of a similar situation arising here.

I have a wind up Short Wave Radio, but have considered buying a Transceiver for standby use in case of emergencies.

Anybody here a Radio Enthusiast? What would be the best type of Radio to buy. I don't intend to take up the hobby, just want to be able to communicate in an emergency.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Internet Shutdown

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

Continuing on the Civil unrest/Armageddon/Preparedness/Zombie theme....

No idea which radio to suggest but a wind up short wave would be a good starter if only to give access to dodgy French music stations. We have three PMR's in the house with a reasonable range however without electricity to charge them they would serve very little purpose, we have held up to 60 litres of bottled water in the house in the past but only because our local water supply was iffy and we have two dogs, these days we might have a few bottles of water and some tinned food (Certainly not to Thatcher proportions)

We drive a 4x4 diesel very capable of running on cooking oil with the added bonus of no turbo, ABS, A/C or engine management to go wrong and a 2.9 litre commercial Merc engine under the bonnet.

Come the day communications channels would be reduced/cut and that would include internet and mobile phone services, consider at that point your ability to communicate with friends and family (Plus fellow F-B'ers!) Life as we know it would be only a hop and a skip away from anarchy.

So how would *we* communicate?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Robin128

#3 Post by Robin128 »

If the Government wants to shut your comms down...they can and will do it.

It makes no difference what means of communication you choose...even satellite fones are blockable.

When I used to work in telecoms back in the 60s I placed customers into different categories that could be shut down VERY quickly should the government require it.

Jeeeze if our military can shut down a Russian Sub's comms...your comms don't pose to much of a challenge.

;)
Christel
Site Admin

#4 Post by Christel »

That has given me a good idea, that has.

A dedicated section for survival tips....

What say ya?
Robin128

#5 Post by Robin128 »

Aye...Chuck has it sorted with his cave with fart extraction.

;)
Ovenpaa

#6 Post by Ovenpaa »

Robin128 wrote:If the Government wants to shut your comms down...they can and will do it.
Can?

The have done it. The UK has closed comms towers in specific areas on more than one occasion, equally our growing dependence on GPS is at doubt as it can be both closed and shifted very easily.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
25Pdr
Past Supporter

#7 Post by 25Pdr »

christel wrote:That has given me a good idea, that has.

A dedicated section for survival tips....

What say ya?
Yes please............ :D
Ovenpaa

#8 Post by Ovenpaa »

What should it be called?
/d

Shed Journal
25Pdr
Past Supporter

#9 Post by 25Pdr »

ovenpaa wrote:What should it be called?
"Emergency Planning"
Christel
Site Admin

#10 Post by Christel »

Done:)