Survival tins - what is in yours?

If we entered a time of Civil Unrest/Armageddon/Zombie Attacking, what would we do?

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Emergency planning regarding communication, water/food supply, shelter, equipment, transport and of course what guns to have with us!
Dangermouse

Survival tins - what is in yours?

#1 Post by Dangermouse »

I have ordered several of these for the cadets (not free).

http://www.strikeforcesupplies.co.uk/in ... 08&from=40
I know what traditionally goes in these but I would be interested to hear from anyone who has actually ever got one out in anger or has thought of something "out of the box" to put in it.

I have a realistic streak and have to say that these tins will possibly only ever get opened on a weekend without McDonald's somewhere in the UK.
I have always questioned the actual practical use of some items, like fishing line and hooks. I have always found it difficult enough to catch anything with a proper rod and line never mind a short length of questionable strength line and tiny hook.

So as you can see, I have an inner battle going on as to if they are worth carrying whilst in the UK or not. Hypothermia is still a killer in the UK for out doors types, so fire lighting and signalling and direction finding are all still in there.

DM

PS a big vote of support for the guys at Strikeforce, They ran out of the cheap button compasses and replaced them at no extra charge for more expensive models. They are consistently better priced than other suppliers and have the stuff out the door same/next day.
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.
Sandgroper
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Survival tins - what is in yours?

#2 Post by Sandgroper »

I have always questioned the actual practical use of some items, like fishing line and hooks. I have always found it difficult enough to catch anything with a proper rod and line never mind a short length of questionable strength line and tiny hook.
A far as fishing goes it depends on what you are used to. Most of the fishing I did when younger, was with hand lines and with the right rig I was successful more times than not, but it takes practice and knowledge.

I have a fire lighting kit for my son in a similar sized container - he's becoming quite adept at lighting a fire without matches. :good:
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

We lived on the edge of the Peak National Park for 10 years and the kids were well versed in what to do on the moors, they knew about the importance of shelter and how to avoid frost pockets or how to get off the moors and work out where North was. I compared notes with a friend with two children of the same age as mine, he lived in a thriving urban community and his children had the basics of survival skills albeit a very different set of skills.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Blu

#4 Post by Blu »

DM,
I have a realistic streak and have to say that these tins will possibly only ever get opened on a weekend without McDonald's somewhere in the UK.
Only if you cram them with sweets and stuff mate. When I was in the mob I had one of these tins, in fact most of the guys did. Thinking back and I may have forgotten a couple of things I had the following in mine.

1. Safety pins. Can be used for a host of things such as medical applications or used for holding things together such as a makeshift basha.
2. Ring Saw. The proper commando type and not the cheap crap ones made in China. Again can be used for collecting firewood and you can use it as a snare as well.
3. Cotton wool balls dipped in vaselin, cotton wool burns good and dipped in vaselin will burn for longer.
4. A large black trash bag. Can be used for carrying stuff and can also be used for making a basha.
5. Fishing line, I saw you weren't keen on this but it does have other applications as well. It can be used for making near invisible snares in a push or for holding the sticks of a make shift shelter together. I also had some string in there as well
6.Hurricane Matches, goes without any explanation.
7. Condoms and a woman's hairnet. Yeah well while sex is probably the last thing on your mind while trying to survive condoms can also be used for holding about a litre of water, place the condom inside the hairnet to stop it stretching and bursting. You could also use balloons but condoms are better and easier to fill with water.
8. Water purification tablets, again goes without saying.
9. A half decent button compass
10. A pocket knife
11. Sewing needles and thread. Can be used to repair kits and has medical uses as well.
12. Flint and magnesium block and some dry tinder or cotton wool. The matches ain't going to last forever.
13. Fishing hooks and shot sinkers. IIRC I had size 15 and size 8 hooks in my tin and with some thought the hooks can be used for other things besides fishing
14. A small bit of candle. For light and if sat on the outside of the tin lid the melted wax can be collected and used for fire starting. The inside of the lid can be polished to use as signalling mirror.
15 They didn't have them back then but if I could have I would have included one of those small flat torches you see on keychains
16. ElastoPlasters of various sizes, for those little cuts and scrapes that can turn septic.

It looks like a lot of kit there but believe me it will all fit in a tin such as yours if packed properly. you might even add a couple of tea bags for a hot drink. I also had my tin wrapped in strips of black duct tape. The tape as well as helping to keep out moisture also has other uses as well, make shift first aid dressings for one. Hope this helps

Blu :twisted:
Scotsgun

#5 Post by Scotsgun »

Mine is still lying in a drawer somewhere. Pretty good list Blu, but I'd add:

- A tampon. Can be used to plug a puncture wound, torn open to pad blisters, dry tinder or as a water filter.
- Strip of bicycle inner tube. Great for starting fires as it burns well, even when soaking wet. Also good as binding & lashing.
froggy
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: HPRP (UK) + Corsaires Malouins (France) + Czech Rep

#6 Post by froggy »

Salut,

Blu & Scotgun list is pretty comprehensive.
I used to store my make-up pads soaked in vaseline (blu #3) in film black film little boxes - I guess it shows my age - The content of 1 box would start bwetween 5 to 15 fires depending on weather conditions.
A basic swiss army knife but with twisers for shards, ticks etc ...
a good lengh of paracord
60 cm of thin copper wire for traps
We were also issued with a small position miror & a whistle but as blu mentioned if your kit is in a metal box you can use the top as such.
and needless to say that diaorrhea tablets are worth their weight in gold in the field ;)

Not really a survival kit item but couple of Cyalume are worth carrying
Want to shoot pistol ? Don't retreat... reload & run forward !!
http://dynamicshootingcz.co.uk/
Blu

#7 Post by Blu »

Hey Froggy good to see you back, where you been hiding then?

$harp$hooter
Home club or Range: Bury Rifle Club

#8 Post by $harp$hooter »

I have a firesteel, small folding knife, waterproof matches, pine resin, tampon, condom, 8ft paracord would into a bracelet, plasters, anti-sceptic wipes, fishing hooks
"Life - It is what it is"
Blu

#9 Post by Blu »

$harp$hooter, which Battalion did you serve with?

tackb

#10 Post by tackb »

Only essentials so a miniature of port and a robusto Cuban cigar with a few swan vestas !